It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• Is Proton Beam Therapy worth all the trouble?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
    jagguy
    (male)

jagguy HB User
    Is Proton Beam Therapy worth all the trouble?

Is this therapy worth 8 weeks in another state plus the money it costs to rent a condo?

What is the cure rate?

Thanks,
    jag

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
    daff
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

daff HB User
    Re: Is Proton Beam Therapy worth all the trouble?

It most certainly was for me and for for many of those that choose to research this in depth. There are no easy or quick answers to choosing this vs other treatments- but you'd have a better idea of what proton treatment is all about if you read the Marckini book.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
    jagguy
    (male)

jagguy HB User

Daff, what is the cure rate using Proton Beam Therapy if you know.

Just got Marckini's book free via U. of Fla. Proton Therapy Institute & will start reading it tomorrow.

Jag

Old 11-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #4
    daff
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

daff HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jagguy View Post
    Daff, what is the cure rate using Proton Beam Therapy if you know.

Just got Marckini's book free via U. of Fla. Proton Therapy Institute & will start reading it tomorrow.

Jag
    My belief is that cure rates for most of the common treatments- seeds, IMRT, proton, surgery are similar. There have been improvements in almost all treatments over the years, and without a long-term standardized random test, it's difficult to come up with good statistics. A lot depends on the group being treated with respect to age, Gleason score, PSA levels, etc- so if you don't have a common base, it's not easy to compare one to the other. Also, with regard to proton, and perhaps IMRT, higher dosage levels are deemed safer than in the past, so treatments now should offer better results than with lower dosages in the past.

So it's complicated. I think the reason people select what they do (if they do a good analysis) is what they feel comfortable with risk-wise and side-effect wise. Even though it's rare, surgery can cause major problems for some (and conceivably death from anesthesia complications or blood clots that may form later). Some treatments have a higher incidence of impotence or incontinence than others. For some, even though the odds are in their favor, if things don't go right, the consequences can be bad enough that they don't want that risk. Each of us is different and there are many good alternatives to choose from.

As I probably said in a prior post, I was initially scheduled for robotic surgery, but became interested in alternatives- partially because the doctors I saw didn't provide a full range of possibilities for me to explore. Maybe if they had not been so protective of their turf, in wanting me to consider only what they were involved with, I would have given more weight to what they said...instead, I ultimately became a self-referred patient at Florida Proton and remain positive about that choice.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
    jagguy
    (male)

jagguy HB User

Daff, Thinking ahead if I end up down in Fla. from Long Island for at least 2 months, how do you continue paying monthly bills for your home while you're not at home?

I'm sure there is a simple answer here but I'm not seeing it. I do not have direct deposit & do not pay bills online currently.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
    daff
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

daff HB User

The easiest thing to do would be to set up direct deposit and online bill paying now-- but if not, you could always have someone send your mail or you could have your mail forwarded by the post office. You could then pay bills by mail and make deposits by mail. Some bills can be paid over the phone too- by your providing your banking info and the vendor (utlity or credit card account, for example) ends up drawing the specified amount directly from your checking account.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:01 PM   #7
    tumbleweed
    (male)

tumbleweed HB Usertumbleweed HB Usertumbleweed HB User

I haven't heard anything which would persuade me that Proton Beam is any better than Brachytherapy (as long as you are eligible for Brachytherapy) and it is certainly more convenient (2 one day hospital visits). And there are published figures for the results of brachytherapy. And there are 20% more patients treated by brachytherapy than surgery in USA.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:01 PM   #8
    daff
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

daff HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jagguy View Post
    ....Just got Marckini's book free via U. of Fla. Proton Therapy Institute & will start reading it tomorrow.
    I'm curious to know your initial thoughts after reading the book- did it provide
    enough background for you to either keep this treatment on your "to consider further" list or will you decide to move on to further consider IMRT and/or seeds or surgery-- where you wouldn't have to deal with the two-month period of treatment far from home?

Old 11-09-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
    daff
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

daff HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
    I haven't heard anything which would persuade me that Proton Beam is any better than Brachytherapy...
    I guess it's all in the definition of "better". I think the severity of side effects with brachytherapy can be greater, but it's obviously a treatment that has lots of supporters. (And I don't think that one can expect to get a complete picture and full overview of proton beam therapy just from what's written on this board.)

Last edited by daff; 11-09-2008 at 05:04 PM. Reason: removed redundant word

Closed Thread