It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• PSA test results back, not good

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-23-2009, 06:15 AM   #1
    shynee32
    (female)

shynee32 HB User
    Question PSA test results back, not good

Well, my husband got the results of his PSA test yesterday. It was 26.

His doctor thinks he had an infection, and that's why it's so high. He's going to set up an appointment for him to see a urologist, but we don't know when yet.

Is there any way at all for them to confirm he has an infection? He did take the Flomax which did help with his urination problems(due to an enlarged prostate), but how do we know that there isn't still an infection hanging around? Shouldn't my husband be on some sort of antibiotic? Or is he going to have to wait to see the urologist?

I hate this waiting! And, his 40th birthday is Monday(which he's bummed out about enough already)-this is not the kind of news we wanted right now.

Any advice or info would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
    daff
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

daff HB User
    Re: PSA test results back, not good

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shynee32 View Post
    ...His doctor thinks he had an infection, and that's why it's so high. He's going to set up an appointment for him to see a urologist...
    Sounds like good advice to see a urologist to check things out further. There are some tests, but from what I've read, one can have an infection that's not found easily, and doesn't always get corrected by antibiotics. There can be diet changes recommended and probably other things too-- but maybe your husband can be cured by a round of antibiotics. You're obviously concerned- so getting that next appointment soon is probably the best course of action.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
    shynee32
    (female)

shynee32 HB User

Thanks, daff.

He's got an appointment on the 29th, so we'll only have to hold out for a week. Hopefully it is something that isn't so hard to find and treat, so we can rule that out and hopefully his PSA will go down as a result.

So, we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
    daff
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

daff HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shynee32 View Post
    He's got an appointment on the 29th, so we'll only have to hold out for a week. Hopefully it is something that isn't so hard to find and treat, so we can rule that out and hopefully his PSA will go down as a result.
    That's not too long to wait- and let us know what you find out. Others may
    find this of use. Now that he's started down the PSA testing road, it's not
    a bad idea for him to get this done annually along with a physical.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
    puddy616
    (female)

puddy616 HB User

I sympatize with you , my husband was diagnosed today at age 58 with avery agressive pca. is PSA was 8 and we got the biopsy results today High grade, it hurts. I was told that africian american men are at a higher risk the doctor recommends surgery. Can anyone give me some advice?

Old 01-28-2009, 06:14 PM   #6
    daff
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

daff HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by puddy616 View Post
    I sympatize with you , my husband was diagnosed today at age 58 with avery agressive pca. is PSA was 8 and we got the biopsy results today High grade, it hurts. I was told that africian american men are at a higher risk the doctor recommends surgery. Can anyone give me some advice?
    Sorry to hear you're joining the "club" under possibly difficult circumstances.
    Do you know the Gleason score and cancer grade (like T1c) and how many cores tested positive in the biopsy (and how many were taken)?

It's always difficult when we learn of this, but there are still lots of different treatments and many reasons to be very optimistic. Without knowing a iittle more, it's difficult for me to comment on why or why not surgery would be the best alternative. It's a disease that offers several options for treatment, with potentially vastly different side effect profiles.

It's best to take a few deep breaths and explore the options. What most men hear is surgery as the best alternative. That's because the person saying it would be involved in the surgery and benefit financially. This is a disease that offers treatment options, and the best thing is to read read read right now- to learn as much as you can and to learn what questions to ask the doctors.

I wouldn't be so bold as to suggest whether it should be surgery or one of the several forms of radiation, but it should be your decision after you learn more. I was originally scheduled for robotic surgery, but after doing some investigation and a lot of reading (and speaking with about 20 past and then current patients) I chose a very targeted form of radiation called Proton Beam Therapy- fewer side effects and a similar cure rate from my perspective. If you review some of my previous posts on this board you'll see my recommendations for some reading material, as well as posts by IADT3since2000 (with some other book suggestions).

You can learn a lot from reading posts on this board, and don't be bashful about asking any question at all. Lots of us have been through this, and even though we're not doctors, we have lots of personal experience and personal research that you can benefit from.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
    puddy616
    (female)

puddy616 HB User

Hi Daff, thanks much i've got some good ideas, from what the doctor said it seems that it's high grade tomorrow i'll find the gleason # . It's amazing how it increased in one year. I'm very hopeful that with the info that iam absorbing because that's how it feels, i will be better able to speak to the oncologist even the doctor. i'm doing all of the work because my husband is very passive and respects my judgement. we do the bone scan on Saturday, the ct on Monday He started the casodex and will be getting the lupron in 2 wks. It's amazing how much i've learned from this board, you guys are soooooo special .God bless I'll be in touch. I am in Queens New York and I heard that having great doctors make the difference. What are some questions I shoun ask the radio therapist? We see him 2/4/2009. sharmaine

Old 01-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Hi Sharmaine,

I'll join daff in welcoming you and your husband to our club!

Wow, with Casodex already and Lupron scheduled, plus bone and CT scans, you guys are jumping in with both feet! (Remember that great cliff jumping scene in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"?)

Actually, your experience so far reminds me a lot of what my wife and I went through back in December 1999, following a routine physical where the PSA result I got only at my insistance was 113.6. The blood draw was on 12/4; I got the result and told my wife late in the afternoon of 12/7; we saw the urologist first thing in the morning on 12/8 (Wednesday): rock hard prostate, probably stage T3; went on a business trip on Thursday and Friday; had the biopsy the morning of 12/13 (Monday); got the result on 12/15 Wednesday morning (Gleason 3+4=7; all biopsy cores positive, most 100% cancer); on Thursday I slip on the stairs and injure my shoulder (rare for me - showing signs of strain); I hear from my sister's just retired urologist father-in-law encouraging me to get a shot quickly, and, answering my question, saying he had never seen a PSA so high ); on 12/20 Monday I get my first Lupron shot and follow it up with a bone scan and a CT scan as chasers.

Unlike your husband, I did not start with Casodex. Back then, there were still a lot of doctors who did not realize that is a very wise step for high risk men. Heck, that's so even these days!

On 12/21, the next day, I felt a bad cold coming on (strain again), the [expletives deleted] computer misbehaved as I was trying to move a vital project forward before leaving by plane the next day on a "vacation" (yeah, right!), and I had the worst day I can remember!

My wife and I were wondering if we would ever experience another joyful day. Actually, that happened a lot sooner than we expected! (Family was a huge help, and making a spiritual investment over a lifetime really began to pay dividends! ))

About the next day I got the results of the bone and CT scans: surprisingly, both were negative! That was my first big dose of good news!

I'm doing very well in my tenth year on intermittent blockade as my only therapy, an option which may be open to your husband. I'll include some comments in green, adding to what daff wrote.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by puddy616 View Post
    Hi Daff, thanks much i've got some good ideas, from what the doctor said it seems that it's high grade tomorrow i'll find the gleason # .

Better yet, ask him or her to send a copy of the written report. That often proves very helpful.

It's amazing how it increased in one year.

Would you mind telling us what it was and when that test and the latest were taken? It can be especially important for a patient like your husband.

I'm very hopeful that with the info that iam absorbing because that's how it feels, i will be better able to speak to the oncologist even the doctor.

Amen!!! That's what we should all do in my opinion!

i'm doing all of the work because my husband is very passive and respects my judgement.

Hopefully he will recover from the shock and get more involved, but it is big time great that you are there to help! You can play a vital role!

we do the bone scan on Saturday, the ct on Monday He started the casodex and will be getting the lupron in 2 wks.

That timed, one-two punch is a sign of sound medical practice. The Casodex given in advance helps prevent something called "flare," which can be dangerous for patients with advanced prostate cancer.

It's amazing how much i've learned from this board, you guys are soooooo special .God bless I'll be in touch.

We are delighted to be able to help!

I am in Queens New York and I heard that having great doctors make the difference.

Amen again!!!

What are some questions I shoun ask the radio therapist? We see him 2/4/2009. sharmaine

We can give you some, but I need to get off the computer for a bit.

Before I go I want to pass on this key piece of information. As you may know, African American men typically have a substantially worse prognosis than other men. HOWEVER, research is now strongly indicating that much of that is because of past patterns of inferior treatment. Outcomes for African Americans with good treatment should be much better. I can tell you more about that if you wish.

Take care and keep your spirits up,

Jim

Closed Thread