It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• Agent Orange Exposure Doubles Prostate Cancer Risk

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2009, 07:04 AM   #1
    shs50
    Veteran
    (male)

shs50 HB User
    Agent Orange Exposure Doubles Prostate Cancer Risk

I recently learned that any Vietnam vets exposed to Agent Orange have double the incidence of developing prostate cancer 25 to 30 or more years later, among many other cancers i.e. multiple myeloma, Hodgkins, Leukemia, Lymphoma,etc.
    My brother-in-law who served in Vietnam was being evaluated by the V.A. for a persistent skin condition which emerged shortly after returning from service. At that time he was told he'd contracted Ringworm. Now he's told he was exposed to Agent Orange and is going through Agent Orange screening for V.A Disability Benefits. He couldn't believe he was exposed to Agent Orange as he was stationed at Long Binh a huge U.S military base far from the known zones which were sprayed. He was informed that so much Agent Orange was sprayed all over that no areas were completely safe and if he develops any of the Agent Orange caused diseases such as prostate cancer it is presumptively considered a service connected disability and eligible for both treatment and compensation.
    The prostate cancer associated with Agent Orange occurs twice as often as in the general population and is typically a more aggressive Gleason Grade and at a more advanced stage when diagnosed than non-Agent Orange caused prostate cancer.
    So, if any of you prostate cancer survivors ever served in Vietnam, you should make an appt. at your local V.A. hospital for Agent Orange screening and classification. No matter where in-country you served you may have been exposed and you'll be eligible for both care and compensation.
    Agent Orange is so persistent that the DaNang airport, a major tourist entry point to Vietnam is even today classified as one the three most toxic hot spots in Vietnam due to the huge amounts of unused Agent Orange which was stored there and may still be.

Last edited by shs50; 02-04-2009 at 07:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
    rudiraven
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
    Re: Agent Orange Exposure Doubles Prostate Cancer Risk

My husband served in Vietnam and contracted esophageal cancer. He passed away in Nov. 2006. They are studying linkage to this cancer and other digestive cancers and exposure to Agent Orange. There's an interesting report I found on the web from 1990 to the Dept. of Veteran's Affairs from Adm. Zumwalt discussing Agent Orange exposure and the proliferation of cancers among Vietnam vets. They denied it for so long and now the "chickens are coming home to roost". How sad

Closed Thread