It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• "Peenuts" (trademark) in Active Surveillance

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
    "Peenuts" (trademark) in Active Surveillance

I noticed an ad by Dr. Ronald Wheeler for his "Peenuts" formulation that is currently adjacent to the board and was curious if there were any new information. Basically, Peenuts is supposed to reduce inflammation in the prostate, thereby reducing one of the non-cancer causes of higher PSAs.

I had heard about his Peenuts (note special spelling - not "peanuts") way back in early 2000 a few months after I was diagnosed, but my impression was that the research that had been done was not encouraging. I always wondered if more favorable information would be published. Now it has been, in 2007, and you can get Dr. Wheeler's study results by going to [url]www.pubmed.gov[/url] and searching for " Peenuts AND wheeler [au] ". That will take you straight to the abstract of the study, at least as of today. The title is "Is it necessary to cure prostate cancer when it is possible? (Understanding the role of prostate inflammation resolution to prostate cancer evolution)," published in Clin Interv Aging. 2007;2(1):153-61.

His results are quite encouraging, though the study was very small and was conducted by Dr. Wheeler, the only author listed, who obviously has a strong financial stake in the outcome. With that caution in mind, I was impressed by the high percentage of men responding to the combination of a Mediterranean diet - itself a very likely aid in our battle with prostate cancer - and Peenuts supplementation. The patients in the study had organ-confined prostate cancer proven by biopsy, and had mostly Gleason Score 6 or below, with a few GS 7 tumors, and they had all declined both curative therapy and hormonal blockade.

PSA was the primary score kept in the study, though there were several others. Here are the key PSA results: "RESULTS: Eighty-seven percent of men (n = 20) noted a 58% reduction (range of improvement: 13%-90%) in PSA over an average of 38.5 months (range: 13-84 months). The remaining 13% of men included three men who experienced a mild elevation in PSA of 0.3 ng/ml, 0.7 ng/ml, and 0.9 ng/ml over 14 months, 42 months, and 34 months, respectively. "

Here's my take. I'm impressed with the PSA reduction . On the other hand, I have several reservations. First, Dr. Wheeler is a senior urologist, and it is quite possible that he selected men for this small study whom he subconsciously knew would do well, either because of the supplement or because of the switch to a Mediterranean diet (basically my diet, incidentally) . I was educated in scientific research long ago, and most of my career involved research for the Department of Defense, and that has thoroughly convinced me that a subtle bias by the researcher - even one below his awareness - can radically alter resuts of studies. Second, the diet itself might be responsible . Third, the study is so small that random chance might be behind the results . It would be of great help if a truly independent group would do a similar and larger study, especially with a control arm and randomized assignment of patients to each study arm.

With all that said, some of us might benefit from this supplement.
    Jim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
    inspectormoe
    (male)

inspectormoe HB User
    Re: "Peenuts" (trademark) in Active Surveillance

Jim, you made a lot of good observations along with due diligence given to both sides of the process. I think you summed it up best in the final comments:

"Third, the study is so small that random chance might be behind the results . It would be of great help if a truly independent group would do a similar and larger study, especially with a control arm and randomized assignment of patients to each study arm."

I am personally apprehensive with any study that the lead doctor has a financial interest. Hopefully there will be a independent study that could lend some credibility to the results if they are indeed as stated.

Steve

Old 02-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Hi Yanick,

It's good to see you posting here again. I'm inserting some comments in green.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yanick123 View Post
    Your right, Jim, there is only 1 source of information and the journal where it is published in, his young (start in 2006). Scientific journals are ranked by the number of time there articles are cited in other journals. And let say there is no ranking for now;

Thanks for that piece of information about ranking. I have been relying on my impressions, and I only know of perhaps a half dozen journals that I've come to learn are very highly regarded; I just don't know about others. Is a list published somewhere, or is there a way a survivor can figure it out?

I made a little digging on the supplements to try to find the ingredients.

... Estimated for a man at 160 lbs should drink one pint (100%) of juice or eat 2 fruits by day.

I am glad to learn about this study, and in return I can give you a lead to some work I am excited about by a high powered UCLA team researching the effect of pomegranate juice and extract and prostate cancer. Knowing the names of a few of the authors by heart, I used the following search string that resulted in four hits in [url]www.pubmed.gov:[/url] " pantuck [au] AND heber [au] AND pomegranate AND prostate cancer ". The earliest paper they did was published in the summer of 2006, after the paper you cited. I imagine that both papers were in review at the same time, so there may not have been much interaction between the researchers. That 2006 paper is of great interest because it is a Phase II study of men with recurring prostate cancer who were able to increase their PSA doubling times from about 15 months to over 50 months just by consuming 8 ounces of pomegranate juice! That is just an awesome result! The full paper is available free using the link at [url]www.pubmed.gov[/url]. (By the way, we can use that site on this board because it is Government sponsored, per the posting rules.) While the Pom Wonderful company funded the study, my impression is that the result is considered reliable because of the great reputations of the research team members. I look forward to seeing confirmation of the result. Incidentally, Dr. Charles "Snuffy" Myers was highly impressed with the study, and he has reported that many of his own prostate cancer patients appear to be achieving results like those described in the study.

At the IMPaCT Conference, "Innovative Minds in Prostate Cancer Today," held September 5-8, 2007 in Atlanta, further work was discussed regarding isolating the effective elements of the fruit . (The conference was sponsored by the Prostate Cancer Research Program, under the auspices of the Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program, and I attended based on my participation as a "consumer" (meaning survivor) representative in research proposal peer reviews.) I recall some researcher explaining how advanced techniques were used, probably micro arrays, to see which elements seemed to make a difference. The analysis resulted in a number of solid-looking leads. My understanding is that this was the basis for creation of an extract. I think this is the one now marketed by the Pomella company, which supplies the key ingredients to other manufacturers.

I am now taking two capsules of pomegranate extract daily that are distributed by the Life Extension Foundation. I've heard that those capsules are among those that are based on the research in the Pantuck paper. Unfortunately, I have not noticed a likely impact from the supplement on my own PSA doubling time.

Cranberry(2) is probably in the mix as anti-inflammation but I could be wrong and there is probably other fruit extract as well.
    Frankly I prefer those fruits in my breakfast or as my dessert than in pills.

Me too, but though I like pomegranate as a fruit and buy it from time to time, I find it sits in the frig, and I just don't get around to getting the edible fruit cut out and separated.

Yanick

Take care,

Jim

Old 02-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hi Yanick,

Thanks so much for that great information about the journals! I'll try that out very soon.

I know that trick with the pomegranates, but I'm just not in the habit of doing it and haven't been able to motivate myself to make that change. I do spend perhaps half that time on an orange every day.

I get a physical exam from my oncologist every four months, with the last toward the end of January, with lab tests every two months. All is going very well. Thanks for asking.

Jim

Closed Thread