It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• i am so worry.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
    tommy45
    (male)

tommy45 HB User
    i am so worry.

i had blood test. my psa is 3.3.i have no any Symptoms. i am 48 yr. it could be cancer?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
    daff
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

daff HB User
    Re: i am so worry.

Have you had this test in prior years, and if so, when and what were the results? You can have elevated PSA readings from various causes, including prostate infection. The PSA reading you got does not mean you have cancer; however, depending on its absolute level and rate of change, this can lead a doctor to wanting you to get a biopsy. This isn't really a time for worry, but rather a time to talk to the doctor that prescribed the test and ask what the results mean, and if you should see a urologist.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
    shs50
    Veteran
    (male)

shs50 HB User

Why would you jump to that conclusion? What were your prior PSA's if any and how quickly did it rise to 3.3?
    Taken by itself A PSA of 3.3 is nothing to be concerned about unless it was much lower a year ago. Your Dr. should be able to advise you if there's cause for concern.
    If this is your first PSA there's no benchmark against which to compare it, so, relax and have another PSA in 6 months if you're still worried.

Last edited by shs50; 02-20-2009 at 09:49 AM.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
    tommy45
    (male)

tommy45 HB User

this is first time.i will see urologist in 2 month.i just so scare right now.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tommy45 View Post
    i had blood test. my psa is 3.3.i have no any Symptoms. i am 48 yr. it could be cancer?
    Hi Tommy,

We on the board all remember the worry when we got unexpected PSA results and understand where you are coming from. But there are other things that cause PSA to rise, and even in the worst case where you are diagnosed with prostate cancer, these days there are many therapies that can be used (including actively watching while holding off on therapy), and the odds of success are very high when the cancer is caught early.

The PSA test is like a nervous young sentry in an army camped in a sometimes dangerous, sometimes safe area. Usually, when a PSA test under 10 raises our concern and worry , it turns out to be something other than cancer . The typical culprit is an infection, and unusual but non-cancerous enlargement of the prostate can also cause a troubling PSA increase. There are other causes.

But just as the sentry's call needs to be checked out in that army scenario, so does a PSA like yours.

Typically for a man in your age group - from age 40 through age 49, a man with no cancer will have a PSA of 0.7, and for the next group - ages 50 through 59 - it will typically be 0.9.

Up until a few years ago, a PSA score of 4.0 was the threshold for taking further action to see what was causing the increase, regardless of age. Now many doctors believe it should be just 2.5. Adjusting for age, for the group from age 40 through 49, thresholds of 2.0 for African Americans (likely applies to Canada as well) and 2.5 for others are considered wise.

This is a long way of saying that your score of 3.3 should move you to follow up and find out what is going on: infection, enlargement, cancer, or something else.

Here are some of the things that you and your doctors could do.

Have you had previous PSAs? How does this one compare? What were previous scores and their dates, as well as the date of the 3.3 result? The trend can be a very important clue.

One of the most typical follow-up steps is to get what is called a "free PSA" test so you can find out the percentage of free PSA. If it is high, say, above 25%, that's a pretty good indicator of no cancer. If its lower, especially around 10%, you still have to be concerned about cancer or an infection.

Another fairly recent but powerful test is known as PCA3Plus (not PSA, but PCA instead). The doctor does a vigorous DRE, then a few minutes later you pee, and the urine is sent off to a lab.

An ultrasound exam without a biopsy would give the doctor an excellent idea of the size of the prostate, and that would help figure out whether non-cancerous enlargement was at least partly behind the PSA.

There are other things that could be done before moving to a biopsy, but a biopsy, especially one guided by ultrasound, would have a fairly decent chance of discovering any cancer.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Last edited by IADT3since2000; 02-20-2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old 02-20-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
    dale2035
    (male)

dale2035 HB User

Quote:
    Hi, Tommy,
    You are getting several postings. Hope the information is helping. It is a little tough waiting two months to follow up and get some answers and help. I guess the GP who ordered the test is not available? Good for him requesting a PSA. That is not routine in my area for such a young patient. Is he just very thorough or do you have a brother or father who had/has prostate cancer? If you have prostate cancer in the family, especially with early onset, he might want to be extra cautious. So it would be a little reassuring to me to have a doctor who is as vigilant as yours seems to be. That is especially important when the tests (other than a biopsy) seem to give only estimates, no certainty. Good luck. You seem to be in good hands up there.
    Dale

Old 02-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
    tommy45
    (male)

tommy45 HB User

[ i have no family history with prostate cancer,even grandparents.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Quote:
    Hi again Tommy,

I just realized when I saw your updating post that you be so scared because, #1, it may be you yourself who has it, but #2 because you probably don't realize how different prostate cancer is from most other major cancers: for the vast majority of us, it moves much slower than other cancers, and it's just not able to do in very many of us.

That means you have time to figure out what to do and then do it without rushing, except in very rare cases. For example, about one out of every five patients that a leading doctor in Toronto is watching over, holding off on major therapy because their cases seem mild, have PSA doubling times that will take 100 years or more. If they had your PSA of 3.3, it would take until the year 2109 before their PSA reached 6.6. Unless their cancers change course, which sometimes happens, or unless they live many hundred years , they are not going to need to have major therapy and can just get on with their lives.

Patients with some cancers, like aggressive pancreatic cancer (fairly typical for pancreatic cancer), often do not live very many months once they are diagnosed (though its improving, and by far most of them are no longer living by the five year point. Lung cancer is better, but also often runs its course fairly quickly.

Look how different it is with prostate cancer. With prostate cancer in this modern age of diagnosis and effective treatment options, more than 99% of us are alive at five years ! A great majority of us are going to live many more years, and only about 3% of us are going to die from the disease . Even with challenging cases like my own (first ever PSA 113.6), many of us are doing well. I'm now in my tenth years since diagnosis and am doing well and loving life!

You may have had friends or co-workers who happened to have had rough experiences with prostate cancer many years ago. Well, prostate cancer is still no walk in the park, but there have been wonderful developments and the experience as a prostate cancer patient is far better than it was even just ten years ago, and that was far better than twenty years ago. A lot of progress is being made each year, and that progress is in all areas: prevention, diagnosis, figuring out how serious the case is, treatment (or actively watching while waiting to see if the case may be so mild that there is never need for major treatment), and looking after quality of life. Also, some of the world's leading experts - both physicians and researchers - are in Canada.

You did the right thing by getting that PSA test, and you will be doing the right thing by seeing that doctor for a followup in two months. But keep your spirits up! Your chances for a good outcome are very good.

I hope we can help you become just a little scared instead of so scared.

Take care,

Jim

Old 02-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
    tommy45
    (male)

tommy45 HB User

thank you so much. i feel much better now.everything is up to the god. thank you guys!

Closed Thread