It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• PSA 2.1 to 6.9 in 15 months

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
    DaveGalt
    (male)

DaveGalt HB User
    PSA 2.1 to 6.9 in 15 months

My PSA went from 1.2 to 6.9 in 15 months (the title above says 2.1 but is an error). At the first PSA back in May '08 the urologist said there was "Some swelling but symmetrical and doesn't look like cancer." I have an appointment with him on 9/12/09 but at my recent physical the GP said it felt "swollen with nodules." And then I received the results of my physical and it said my PSA was 6.9! From what I can find on the internet, that's really bad.

But... and I may be grasping at straws here, I'm wondering if a jump that high is more likely to be an indication of infection than cancer, because I don't find many cases online where it goes up THAT fast.

And, my wife had Cystitis symptoms the day before my physical, probably from the Jacuzzi we used 2 1/2 days before my physical, so I could have also had a urinary tract infection.

And, we went bicycle riding for 7 miles, 5 days before my physical.

And had sex 36 hours before the physical.

And I had been very constipated where it hurt to go to the bathroom for the previous month (which had just cleared up 2 days before my physical, after adding prunes to my diet for a week).

And the GP did the DRE BEFORE the blood test.

It looks like I did everything I now know you shouldn't do before a PSA test. So I'm wondering if anyone has a clue as to the likelihood that this was just an infection. I know I'll find out more when I see the urologist in a few days, but I'm pretty anxious about this, and any other info would help. Thanks.

Last edited by DaveGalt; 09-19-2009 at 04:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
    DaveGalt
    (male)

DaveGalt HB User
    Re: PSA 2.1 to 6.9 in 15 months

That was kind of a long post, but mainly I'm wondering that although they say Velocity is an important indicator of the aggressiveness of cancer, they always talk about going up .75 or doubling, but 1.2 to 6.9 sees ridiculously fast. So does this sound like it's probably an infection???

Last edited by DaveGalt; 09-19-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
    kcon
    (male)

kcon HB Userkcon HB User

Hi Dave,

I think you’ve both asked and answered most of the questions yourself, in as far as they can be answered at this point. In summary, there is a handful of things that could cause a spike like you've seen...but I would take the data as an input that you should look further. The nodules mentioned in the DRE would be something not caused by bike-riding, sex, etc, but are dependent on the skill of the doctor to properly "read."

Here’s something I previously posted that seems closely related: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showpost.php?p=4053287&postcount=3

What did your doc recommend as a next step? You wrote that you have a follow-up on "9/12/09", but I suspect that was a typo since this date is before your posting (unless you meant Dec 9, 2009; if you are writing from Europe, maybe that's what you meant).

Another simple PSA test might be in order, this time deliberately avoiding all of the things that you know should be avoided.

Let us know.

best wishes...

Old 09-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
    DaveGalt
    (male)

DaveGalt HB User

kcon,

Thanks for your reply. You're right, that was a typo. My appointment is tomorrow, 9/22. Yes, my GP did say he felt 'nodules.' Last year he said he felt a 'bump', but then my urologist said there was 'some swelling but it's symmetrical and it doesn't look like cancer.' That, combined with the PSA result of 1.2 and I was walking on air when I left his office. So this time I'm hoping for another reprieve.

But I got the PSA results in the mail a week ago and was shocked to see it was 6.9! Researching on the internet, I found that apparently there's this thing called 'velocity' and mine was off the chart.

I began to wonder though, if the velocity was beyond anything talked about on the internet, then maybe that's a *good* sign. If it's atypical then maybe that means it's *not* cancer. * Disallowed website and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator *

So now I'm back to worrying more about the 'nodules.' One thing that gives me some comfort is that fact that my GP didn't seem too concerned. In fact he seemed more interested in discussing ways to save on taxes.

Thanks again. If you have any other helpful words, I'd sure like to hear them, because this has been one very long week for me with no one knowledgeable to talk to.

Dave

Last edited by hb-mod; 09-21-2009 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
    kcon
    (male)

kcon HB Userkcon HB User

Again, I think you've asked & answered your own questions, in as far as they can be answered at this point, and I can only agree with you.

Such a rapid increase can be typical of infection, and atypical for cancer.

Stay congnizant of the nodule reading; but, your urologist probably has a better "read" than the GP.

* Disallowed website removed by hb-mod, moderator * (By the way, * Instructions for locating website removed by hb-mod, moderator * )
    Dr. C is a leading expert on PSA testing.

Last edited by hb-mod; 09-21-2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Please do not suggest internet searches, or post disallowed websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
    kcon
    (male)

kcon HB Userkcon HB User

By the way...try to relax a bit. My hunch is you are right. You'll probably be treated for infection, get re-tested for PSA, and it will be down.

best wishes...

Old 09-22-2009, 06:47 AM   #7
    mrmike2009
    (male)

mrmike2009 HB User

(sorry if this is a double post - but did not see it)

Just wanted to add that my first Biopsy was taken after 3 years of watching my PSA jump around - almost like yours. The results of the first biopsy were interesting in that they showed no CA but there was HG-PIN (High Grade PIN) in two of the core samples. I was told that the HG-PIN, like the PSA is an indicator that there might be CA and that a second biopsy was recommended. They waited 2 months and repeated and that is when they found CA in 10% of 1 of the 12 cores they took. I had the surgery last Monday (doing very well). One interesting thing I learned during my interview of doctors (not sure I am supposed to mention Doctor’s names – but have no problem sharing and I think it is the same Dr. C mentioned by KCON) was that he did not look at the highs of the PSA but the trends in the lows. His concern was when the lows continued to march up (even if they were not sequencial).

To me the biggest issue with the tests is that there are no real definitive results until you get a biopsy that is actually positive. Glad to hear yours is still negative and you continue to watch things.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:23 AM   #8
    kcon
    (male)

kcon HB Userkcon HB User

Dr William Catalona...I had included his whole name in the part that got deleted. Mentioning doctor names is ok, but I gave indirect description on finding his web site and the specific info Dave was talking about, which is verboten. Dave gave a web link, I gave a description. Both are forbidden.

Closed Thread