It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• PSA of 17.4 - should I be worried?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #16
    RJM3
    (male)

RJM3 HB User
    Re: PSA of 17.4 - should I be worried?

If this has come on suddenly, definitely not. Prostate tissue can't grow that fast. It sounds like something else is going on and this why your doc wants to take that look-see. I'd get that cysto scheduled pronto so that you can get on the road to recovery.

Good luck-let us know how you make out
    Bob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #17
    flyingsailor
    (male)

flyingsailor HB User

At age 50, I was originally diagnosed with PCa. PSA was 19. Digital exam and ultrasound were negative. Biopsy positive. Make sure you do followup. Good luck

Old 03-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #18
    midi
    (male)

midi HB User

Thanks Guys!

But I am now at a standstill. I can't go back to the doc until March 25th next week - I have been off Cipro for almost 3 weeks now and having the same prostatis symptoms.

He said it was not healthy to continue on the Cipro because of side effects related to tendon rupture but I have heard of other people taking it for a LOT longer.

We also talked about some other anti-biotic treatment options sucjh as Bactrim, Levaquin and Macrobid but after hearing some of the horror stories I am afraid to try any of these.

Has anyone had any experience with these drugs? Would something simple like Pencillin help at all?

Thanks ahead for your responses...

Last edited by moderator2; 03-16-2010 at 08:42 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 03-17-2010, 08:22 AM   #19
    RJM3
    (male)

RJM3 HB User

Unfortunately from an infection point of view everything is dependent on what strain you have. Different strains of bacteria are resistant to different drugs. Your doctor has scheduled a cysto, because you are not responding to the current drug course. At this point without a culture from the bacterial infection, any other drug treatment is going to be hit or miss, and the last thing that you want to do is encourage a resistant bacterial strain to become more resistant. The problem with antibiotics that most people don't realize is that failure to fully kill the strain of bacteria that you have leaves behind some of the bacteria which has survived the drug course, and when they reproduce, the are much more resistant to the same antibiotic and the infection can come roaring back, much more difficult to treat. This is why an antibiotic course lasts for several days beyond the subsidence of the symptoms and why a patient should never discontinue a course of antibiotics just because the feel better.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #20
    midi
    (male)

midi HB User

Ok got it - going with the Macrobid for now - just got back results from latest PSA test : 36.8 - am I doomed? :-(

Closed Thread