It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

To Wait or not to Wait

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 34
rhome HB User
To Wait or not to Wait

I am now on my 28 EBRT treatment (70gy) which will end on number 39. My question is should I start HT treatments as soon as ERBT is done or should I wait for the next PSA test. They don;t want to do PSA until 3 months after ERBT completion. My orginal PSA was 5.4 and gleason of 5+4 at DX age 57. Went through clinical trials at City of Hope using textore consisting of 6 sessions and lupron. Psa droped to .1. Had RP done in Oct 2009. Seminal invasion positive margins but lympnodes clean. PSA 2 months after Rp was undectable. PSA after 4 months undetectable. PSA after 7 months .5. CT scan bone scan and prosticint scan all negative. Started ERBT in May 2010. Thanks for any input.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 07-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Guam
Posts: 94
Re: To Wait or not to Wait

I was put on Casodex for a short period the Lupron and stopped Casodex in the same time period as the start of radiation. However my Psa's were higher. My Rad Oncol at UCLA told me that because a Gleason 9 was highly agressive I should treat it most aggressively. Had I known about triple blockade I would have likely started it then.

All the best


Old 08-12-2010, 04:12 AM   #3
Baptista's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Albufeira, Portugal
Posts: 468
Baptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB User
Re: To Wait or not to Wait

Hi, Rhome

Your description tells me that you are following a normal protocol for treatment of the cancer. Your doctor will use the PSA value as a marker of progress.
Unless for specific purposes, PSA tests usually are taken on intervals of three months. Don’t be anxious. Most probably you will have a smaller value in the next result but in my case the PSA reached its lowest mark 14 months after IMRT (EBRT). Only then it is considered in the plan of the next treatment, if any.
Surely, differences exist between cases, and so it is the way of confronting what to do next. Protocols are based on past experiences and usually fit a wider class of patients. I would recommend you to read some medical reports regarding PSA after EBRT. Take a list of questions with you for the next appointment with your doctor.

Wishing you the best

Last edited by Baptista; 08-27-2010 at 04:44 AM.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 116
Johnt1 HB UserJohnt1 HB UserJohnt1 HB UserJohnt1 HB UserJohnt1 HB UserJohnt1 HB User
Re: To Wait or not to Wait

If you have seminal vesicile invasion then there is a high probability of lymphatic invasion.
A study out of Germany and Holland found that there are two lymphatic paths tha pc takes and the one path through the seminal vesicles will not be picked up through surgical sampling of the nodes. Unfortunality the only Scan that will accurrately indentify lymphnode involvement is the Combidex, which has been discontinued.
According to Dr Strum and other oncologists, HT should be started as soon a possible if Mets is suspected because it works much better when the tumor volume is low and the PC cells have not yet had a chance to mutate.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 34
rhome HB User
Re: To Wait or not to Wait

Thanks to all for yor input. It will go a lomg way as to my making a decision. I am now done with ERBT and have a n appointment with my Onc at the end of August. I will keep you informed as to waht direction I am taking. FIGHT ON.

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Concept of "wait a second" ANGDAD Autism Spectrum 8 02-24-2008 02:53 PM
How long to wait to TTC after Partial Molar Pregnancy Kellymen Miscarriage & Still Birth 3 07-30-2007 07:01 AM
Ready...Set...WAIT! Army Wife Infertility 11 02-17-2007 06:44 AM
How long to wait ttc after a miscarriage? befer70 Miscarriage & Still Birth 10 12-18-2005 11:40 PM
I can't wait!! melstone Trying to Conceive (TTC) 1 10-25-2005 08:32 AM
Is 6 Months Too Long To Wait??????? Im Worried RICH7 Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian 8 04-07-2005 06:31 AM
What to do when DH wants to wait longer than you do? jamie31 Pregnancy 13 05-28-2004 07:25 AM
just wait cathyw Infertility 2 08-28-2003 06:31 AM
to wait or not to wait josecori Pregnancy 8 04-07-2003 02:11 PM
how long do you wait.... Jenna22 Relationship Health 11 12-26-2002 11:36 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:46 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!