It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

ED 18 months post RP

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1
108blue HB User
ED 18 months post RP

I am writing to seek information and help for my BF, who, a year and a half post-radical prostatectomy, still has great difficulty achieving an erection satisfying enough for intercourse. Oral meds (Viagra, Levitra) did nothing. He has been injecting for about a year now with varying degrees of success. He is currently using Trimix, which eventually facilitates an erection that is "usable", but just barely. Plus, I think even when it is successful, his orgasms feel so different without the ejaculation that he is having difficulty accepting that as well. He seems to have an attitude of "it's hardly worth it". I so want to support and encourage, but am unsure how best to do that. Of course I miss things the way they used to be as well, but I love him and am willing and want to work with him on this. BTW, he is 51, healthy, non-smoker, but doesn't exercise much (highly successful businessman who works too much). PSA's are all good, so of course I am very thankful for that. Any guidance you can give is greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 12-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Tall Allen
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 688
Tall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB User
Re: ED 18 months post RP

After RP there seems to be a critical time period when, if the vascular tissue of the corpus cavernosum is not kept well-oxygenated, it atrophies and gets fibrotic. Once the tiny vascular valves stiffen, the engorging blood leaks out easily and erections cannot be maintained. This is called venous leak. Unfortunately it is hard to reverse venous leak once it has set in. He can try hyperbaric oxygen or trental/Vitamin E with daily practice with a pump. He might want to consult with a doctor who specializes in sexual medicine. One possibility is a penile implant, which I'm told, works very well, and is very inconspicuous.

- Allen

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:40 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!