It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• PSA of 246

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
    DonM60
    (male)

DonM60 HB User
    Question PSA of 246

Visited GP earlier this week because of sudden-onset bladder problems (trouble voiding despite frequent attempts to urinate) and decided to do bloodwork as part of regular check. DRE revealed some prostate enlargement, but GP didn't comment further. Two days later - PSA of 246! Two years ago PSA was 1.1 (didn't get tested last year). So I'm seeing a urologist tomorrow.

In the meantime, got antibiotics (Ciprofloxacin Hcl 500mg twice daily) for the bladder inflection, and my urination issues seem to be clearing up nicely. Also just got another blood test and will have the results tomorrow (my background's in science - I'm an archaeologist - so my tendency is to always confirm unexpected results).

I'm in fairly good shape because my work involves a lot of hiking and shovel testing, and when I'm working at my home office, I use an elliptical trainer daily and do some weight training alternate days. I'm 6"1", 218 lbs. I've had no other symptoms except for the urination thing, which is clearing up. I've been taking Zestoretic 20/12.5 (hydrochlorothiazide/lisinopril) or a generic equivalent for blood pressure for the past few years.

This just kind of sideswiped me. Anybody with any insights out there? Your comments would be very much appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
    benkam
    (female)

benkam HB User
    Re: PSA of 246

that is high my hubbies was 45 and thats considered high. he is on hormone tablets only he decided to not have invasive surgery. good luck. lets know how you go

Old 04-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
    DonM60
    (male)

DonM60 HB User

Thanks for your post. I hope your husband is doing well. As an aside, your message reminds me that it would be a good idea to have my wife register on this site as well.

Just got the result from the second PSA test (which I had yesterday, two days after the first) - 159.8. According to my GP, the drop is due to the antibiotics taking effect on my bladder issues (which have essentially cleared up - and i just started the pills two days ago). I'd only taken three pills by the time of my second test, so they worked very fast.

Seeing urologist this afternoon. We'll see what he has to say.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
    DonM60
    (male)

DonM60 HB User

Visit to the urologist yesterday had a completely different outcome than we expected.

As he started asking about my medical history and current condition, it became apparent that he was unaware of either my urinary tract problem or my second, somewhat lower, PSA test. He also noted a few anomalies with my blood work, and I’d explained I had a bout of the flu at the same time I had my peeing problem, and had eaten very little for the four or five days prior to the tests.

He then proceeded to do a DRE. He said he felt nothing abnormal.

Then he told us that he was going to extend my antibiotics to a month (my GP had given me 10 day’s worth), and in six weeks when he sees us again, he expects my PSA will drop back or close to my previous level of 1.1.

My wife asked whether he’d be arranging a biopsy. He replied not now.

He said “I walked in here expecting this to be a horror movie…and it looks like it’s turning into a happy ending.

We were floored.

The upshot is that my PSA appeared to be extremely skewed because I had my bloodwork done while simultaneously dealing with my urinary problem and the aftereffects of the flu. Because I have no family history of prostate cancer (aside from my grandfather who died at 95 because some idiot decided to operate on it instead of leave it be), a normal-sized prostate, a previous PSA of 1.1 (in 2011) no other symptoms, an acute urinary tract problem that was almost immediately taken care off with antibiotics, and a 90 point PSA drop one day after starting them, he expects that things will return to normal levels once the current batch of antigens is flushed out of my system.

He sees this once or twice a year.

I also lost about 8 or 10 lbs over the week, but I wouldn’t recommend this as a weight loss method.

We are cautiously optimistic.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
    spanz
    (male)

spanz HB User

I have a friend of my sister with a PSA even higher than that. He is on his last legs unfortunately.

He was on an experimental drug at Mass General Hospital, and it was working pretty well for a year.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
    Billy6
    (male)

Billy6 HB User

I had a PSA taken 12 hours after getting a urinary tract infection. PSA was 112. It took about 6 months for the PSA to return to normal. Be patient.

I was 4.9 before that PSA and, when it returned to normal, it was 6.1. So I basically lost a year of tracking.

The Following User Says Thank You to Billy6 For This Useful Post:
    DonM60 (05-29-2013)
    Old 05-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
    DonM60
    (male)

DonM60 HB User
    Smile Re: PSA of 246

It appears that suspicions of my early demise were a little premature.

Just returned from my scheduled urologist appointment. My PSA has dropped to 7.6. He said it might plateau at this level, or drop further. In any case, he wants to follow up with a cystoscopy and ultrasound (both scheduled within the next couple of weeks) to see if he can track down any residual urinary tract/bladder infection.

It's been just over 6 weeks since I got the initial PSA reading. I was on antibiotics for a month, so they evidently were effective - I haven't had any urinary problems since that initial bout.

A PSA of 7.6 is still on the high side, but a heck of a lot better than 246.

In any case, I hope this provides a little hopeful insight for anyone who's experiencing a similar situation.

I will post when I have further information.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
    DonM60
    (male)

DonM60 HB User

Follow up on cytoscopy and ultrasound: Examinations were done last week; tissue sample taken during cytoscopy. Nothing out of the ordinary detected at this time. Will have additional blood work done in 10 weeks to recheck PSA. Will post results at that time.

My GP reports my PSA was the highest he'd ever seen.

Ironically, I just found out a colleague was diagnosed with prostate cancer about the same time I received my initial scare 2 months ago. His biopsy was positive for cancer, and he is scheduled for surgery this week, with follow-up radiation treatment.

I feel for him. I feel like I dodged a bullet.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
    DonM60
    (male)

DonM60 HB User

Had a follow-up appointment with the urologist today.

PSA down to 4, which is the normal cut-off for someone my age (60). He anticipates it will continue to drop.

Looks like I might be around a little longer after all.

My best wishes to everyone out there whose prognosis turns out to be less positive than mine. I realize how fortunate I am. I wish it could work that way for everyone.

Take care and good luck,

Don

Old 08-18-2013, 02:55 AM   #10
    RogerP
    (male)

RogerP HB User

Has your uro commented on your prostate size?

I had a negative biopsy with a PSA of 12.7, but a volume of 110 cc. My uro said the high PSA could be explained by the increased size.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
    DonM60
    (male)

DonM60 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RogerP View Post
    Has your uro commented on your prostate size?

I had a negative biopsy with a PSA of 12.7, but a volume of 110 cc. My uro said the high PSA could be explained by the increased size.
    He said it was slightly enlarged, but didn't notice anything unusual.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #12
    DonM60
    (male)

DonM60 HB User

Just to follow up after a year. My PSA continues to drop. The results of my latest test (which I've just received) puts it at 3.0, so everything seems to be reverting to normal.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #13
    DonM60
    (male)

DonM60 HB User

An ironic follow-up: I had a colonoscopy yesterday and they identified a tumour - so I have colon cancer. I don't think this is a bullet I can dodge. If I didn't know better, I'd say the Universe has a warped sense of humour.

Closed Thread

Tags
    bladder, high psa, prostate, urination