It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• Husband recently diagnosed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2013, 06:15 AM   #16
    Montanan
    (female)

Montanan HB User
    Re: Husband recently diagnosed

Hi Tall Allen,
    I fear that monotherapy will not get it all or we would most definitely choose that as well. When my husband called UCLA, he was told there was not a Dr. King there? He had difficulty getting anyone to talk to him and was told that they would not talk to him over the phone but he could make an appointment to meet sometime in July.....! Just getting information would be nice. Anyway, you have been most kind to donate your time and expertise in this way during a stressful time!

Last edited by Administrator; 05-24-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #17
    Tall Allen
    Inactive
    (male)

Tall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB User

Dealing with hospitals and insurance companies can be a nightmare.

IMHO, one way of making sure of "getting it all" is to have better imaging. In your husbands case, he has a small prostate which increases the risk that the apex is touching the prostate bed and cancer may have spread from there. Did he have cancer in the apex? A 3 Tesla MRI can show the doctor where the "bulges" are.

Even better are 3 Tesla MRIs using multiple parameters like T2, diffusion-weighting, dynamic contrast enhancement and/or spectroscopy. These can be done with an endorectal coil in place to focus the magnetic field. In the hands of a very experienced radiologist, he can see a lot more than bulges and texture variants, he can actually see tumors as small as half a cm. This would only be available and the expert radiologists who can interpret them at tertiary cancer care centers, and often not even there. Then getting insurance to cover it can be challenging too.

- Allen

Old 05-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #18
    Montanan
    (female)

Montanan HB User

Hi Tall Allen,
    Strange that you should mention the apex as I just read about that last night that having cancer there increases the likelihood of spread, so I took out my husband's pathology report and he has 70% in the apex cores 4+3. So, I concluded the same as you. We are really listening to your advice and now getting a second opinion on the pathology report. My husband also called Utah this morning and was quite enthused about the topotherapy they offer. So, how can we say thanks for all your advice? We are taking it all in and really listening. Many thanks! Onward!!

Old 05-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #19
    Montanan
    (female)

Montanan HB User

Here is my personal thumbs up thank you! I feel like now we know all the assorted options and can make an educated decision! Thank you!

Last edited by moderator2; 05-25-2013 at 10:53 AM.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #20
    Montanan
    (female)

Montanan HB User

The last message was to Tall Allen in particular!

Old 05-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #21
    Tall Allen
    Inactive
    (male)

Tall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB User

I'm happy to have helped in any way. After all this information-gathering and doctor-consultations, you both will have some difficult decisions to make. I hope you will keep posting and share your process and outcomes so others can benefit. For me, the best way to defuse the anxiety is to learn about it and talk about it with anyone who will listen. I started with a psychotherapist who I paid to listen, but I save a lot of money using these online forums instead. ;-)

- Allen

The Following User Says Thank You to Tall Allen For This Useful Post:
    Montanan (05-25-2013)
    Closed Thread