It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• PSA dropped after I stopped TRT

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
    Chris1972fire
    (male)

Chris1972fire HB User
    PSA dropped after I stopped TRT

Ok guys this is my first post. I'm a 41 yr old in shape 215 lbs male. I have been on TRT since Dec of 2012. I just got a set of labs back and my PSA was 3.9
    I was referred to a urologist and of course like most of you went into panic mode. I researched a ton of info and got my urologist degree in about 48hrs. So yes most if the advice you might give me I have read and muddled over. So here's what has happened. I went to my urologist. Got a DRE... That was a blast. Got my prostate "milked" even better and a new PSA test ordered. Just got my lab back and PSA was 3.4
    You might say that's not much of a lowering of my PSA. But I say that's one weeks difference. Btw prostate was not enlarged and nothing notable from the DRE. I say to those that might argue that the PSA did not go down all that much. I say had it risen to 4.4 what might be said? Now I have been off TRT for a week. Here is what "I" have decided to do. The doc is putting me on antibiotics a few white blood cells were found in my "milking" might be an infection causing the rise in PSA and oh I had sex 48hrs prior to my PSA test thanks for telling me that might have an impact on my PSA as well. I can tell you this. I have discovered an overwhelming ammount if conflicting information on the treatment and test and biopsies and so on. There does not seem to be a general consensus on how to tackle the PSA issue the biopsy issue and prostectomy procedure. So I choose caution and monitoring over slapping the panic button and jumping into a biopsy that in itself may cause more harm than good. And which could also be inconclusive. I choose to remove myself from TRT and to monitor my PSA. I'm not against the science. But I do see some that in my opinion hit the panic button. And I'm talking more on the care givers side and less on the patient side. I appreciate your comments but I have made my decision on my path to take. Funny I've stopped TRT and my PSA is already going down after a week of going off T. No enlargement of my prostate. So I'm taking a cautious approach. I will keep you informed on my progress.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
    benkam
    (female)

benkam HB User
    Re: PSA dropped after I stopped TRT

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris1972fire View Post
    Ok guys this is my first post. I'm a 41 yr old in shape 215 lbs male. I have been on TRT since Dec of 2012. I just got a set of labs back and my PSA was 3.9
    I was referred to a urologist and of course like most of you went into panic mode. I researched a ton of info and got my urologist degree in about 48hrs. So yes most if the advice you might give me I have read and muddled over. So here's what has happened. I went to my urologist. Got a DRE... That was a blast. Got my prostate "milked" even better and a new PSA test ordered. Just got my lab back and PSA was 3.4
    You might say that's not much of a lowering of my PSA. But I say that's one weeks difference. Btw prostate was not enlarged and nothing notable from the DRE. I say to those that might argue that the PSA did not go down all that much. I say had it risen to 4.4 what might be said? Now I have been off TRT for a week. Here is what "I" have decided to do. The doc is putting me on antibiotics a few white blood cells were found in my "milking" might be an infection causing the rise in PSA and oh I had sex 48hrs prior to my PSA test thanks for telling me that might have an impact on my PSA as well. I can tell you this. I have discovered an overwhelming ammount if conflicting information on the treatment and test and biopsies and so on. There does not seem to be a general consensus on how to tackle the PSA issue the biopsy issue and prostectomy procedure. So I choose caution and monitoring over slapping the panic button and jumping into a biopsy that in itself may cause more harm than good. And which could also be inconclusive. I choose to remove myself from TRT and to monitor my PSA. I'm not against the science. But I do see some that in my opinion hit the panic button. And I'm talking more on the care givers side and less on the patient side. I appreciate your comments but I have made my decision on my path to take. Funny I've stopped TRT and my PSA is already going down after a week of going off T. No enlargement of my prostate. So I'm taking a cautious approach. I will keep you informed on my progress.
    my husband p.s.a was 45. he had the one injection and he has just been on the hormone tablets only for the last 2 years. p.s.a now 3.9. they wanted him to have the prostate taken out nearly 3 years ago but decided to wait and see. he has not had any sickness or illness and we have had a very good healthy 3 years. sex included. he is 67. Now I have to wonder what state he would of been in now if he had just said yes to the op. he did have some high and low cancers in the prostate but so far they thought they were contained. he made his choice to stay on the hormone tablets and enjoy life. Just have to wait and hope and enjoy ourselves. things could change of course. good luck to you to

The Following User Says Thank You to benkam For This Useful Post:
    Chris1972fire (07-31-2013)
    Closed Thread