It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• Gleason 8

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
    Kuner
    (male)

Kuner HB User
    Gleason 8

I am recovering from a robotic radical prostatectomy and my doctor tells me today that I am cancer free in the area around the prostate. My Gleason score at the time of the biopsy was seven. The pathology report from the removed prostate came back with a Gleason score of eight. I would be interested to find out from those with a similar situation if there are things that I can do to prevent the recurrence of the cancer. I am told the 25 to 30% of people with this score have a recurrence of cancer in their first year.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2014, 11:59 PM   #2
    GUAMJOHN
    (male)

GUAMJOHN HB UserGUAMJOHN HB User
    Smile Re: Gleason 8

In 2005 my Gleason was upgraded to a nine after surgery. I never really cleared. However there are things you can do to reduce chances or keep it low level.

I am a patient of DR Myers, in VA. He has been mentioned in different posts on the board and practices a lot with high Gleasons and also advanced cases. Hopefully the latter will never apply to you but it is good to know there are experts like him around when you do.

Your PSA in the next six months to two years will be telling I think.

There are supplements like pomegranate that may help you.

May God keep your PSA at zero for decades to come.

John

Last edited by Administrator; 04-10-2014 at 11:42 PM.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:44 AM   #3
    Kuner
    (male)

Kuner HB User
    Thanks John. Very helpful.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:24 PM   #4
    dale2035
    (male)

dale2035 HB User
    Re: Gleason 8

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kuner View Post
    I am recovering from a robotic radical prostatectomy and my doctor tells me today that I am cancer free in the area around the prostate. My Gleason score at the time of the biopsy was seven. The pathology report from the removed prostate came back with a Gleason score of eight. I would be interested to find out from those with a similar situation if there are things that I can do to prevent the recurrence of the cancer. I am told the 25 to 30% of people with this score have a recurrence of cancer in their first year.
    My Gleason score was 4 + 3, but my treatment was different than yours. I have a relative that had a Gleason 7 (4=3) that had surgery. The post surgery Gleason was 8. His news was bad news and good news...yours may be good news and good news. His bad news: recurrence in the first year. The good news. Radiation was successful. His PSA has been zero following the radiation....for two or three times...the past year. If those percentages are accurate, let's hope you are in the 70-75%.

Closed Thread

Tags
    prostate cancer.