It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• prostate confusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2014, 03:53 AM   #1
    freeo
    (male)

freeo HB User
    High PSA, Age 34

Hi All
    I am hoping someone can help me out a bit. I am a 34 year old male. I had a PSA test on the 18/03/2014 which came in at 4.72, a subsequent test was done same pathologist on 10/04/2014 and came in at 4.38. My main symptom is frequent urination 'sometimes' at night but mainly during the day. If at night probably the max is 3 times but I can't rule out that is due to the fact I had a couple beers before bed. I have lower back pain but a cat scan showed I had a slight bulged disc in the lower back that might be putting pressure on the nerves. I had an ultra sound that showed an all clear and prostate volume being 11mls. I had started reading about PSA density; PSA divided by your prostate volume and the chances of it being cancer and it has scared the living daylights out of me. My PSA density would be 0.40 . Can the reading be mis calculated when the ultrasound was done for my prostate volume? All my other blood results came back normal. I had glandular fever in November last year. I am having a biopsy next Tuesday and find out on the Wednesday. My Urologist said I am young, which I am not sure what the means exactly?
    Grant

Last edited by freeo; 04-15-2014 at 04:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
    dale2035
    (male)

dale2035 HB User
    Re: High PSA, Age 34

Hi, Grant,
    I don't know if I am submitting this in the correct way. The information I dug up was just to help me understand a bit about my situation...so I did not do work to have information about your situation. My research...might give me some questions to ask my doctor if I was in your shoes. You probably already know the answers to the questions. I would wonder what the PSA f was?...and would ask with that ...if they still do PSA Free and does that help know the likelihood of cancer. Another question...not important but more important than the first...since you are getting a biopsy. A pathologist seeing tissue is better than any test. You could ask how many probes he will do (I think some do a specific number ...such as 10...regardless of the situation. Others may vary...maybe do more than 10...such as 20. Another question: did the DRE give any information? Hats off to your doctors for doing a PSA on a young patient...and using a careful review of the results to do a biopsy. Sounds like you are in good hands. Good luck next week. I was surprised about the amount of the "thud" with the probes...and amount of blood to clean up. Those were surprised, but it was not that painful.
    Dale

Old 04-16-2014, 06:22 AM   #3
    freeo
    (male)

freeo HB User
    Re: prostate confusion

Thanks dale. Not much I can do now but wait. Grant

Old 06-01-2014, 07:57 PM   #4
    lexer
    (male)

lexer HB User

Guarantee its not cancer. You probably have Prostatitis, an infection the of the prostate. That causes the psa to sky rocket. Anti biotics should help. I a, shocked your doc is doing a biopsy. Do you have an enlargement at all?

Old 06-02-2014, 02:09 AM   #5
    freeo
    (male)

freeo HB User

Hey lexer. Turned out to be prostate cancer gleeson score 7 both sides of prostate.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:28 AM   #6
    lexer
    (male)

lexer HB User

I'm so sorry to hear that buddy.
    What is their strategy?
    Was your prostate enlarged at all?
    You are very young to have it, im shocked.

Last edited by lexer; 06-02-2014 at 06:30 AM.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:30 AM   #7
    freeo
    (male)

freeo HB User

Radical I have decided on in a couple days.

Closed Thread

Tags
    prostate, prostate biopsy, psa, psa test, young adult