It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

• teen melanoma

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #1
    azworriedmom
    (female)

azworriedmom HB User
    teen melanoma

My daughter was born with a small beauty mark below her belly button it was the size of a pepper. She is Hispanic and Caucasian with very tan skin. She rarely sunburned. At age 13 her mole grew to a size of a quarter so we checked it out. Dr didn't express the importance of doing a biopsy said puberty probably was the cause. She is now 16, and Easter Sunday showed me her mole had changed again. It was scary black and scaley. Had all signs of melanoma. Because of her age the drs didn't rush getting a biopsy but I did thank god because I was doing my internet research. It took several pathology reports and biopsies and 14 long days before her pathology report diagnosed her with malignant melanoma 2.2 mm thick.

Her surgy to remove 1inch diameter around the melanoma spot will take a section of her tummy size of c- section. They will be testing her lymph nodes as well but we won't know how advanced it is for another week after surgery. Any input about our situation would be grateful

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2015, 03:15 AM   #2
    big andy
    (male)

big andy HB User
    Re: teen melanoma

Quote:
    Originally Posted by azworriedmom View Post
    My daughter was born with a small beauty mark below her belly button it was the size of a pepper. She is Hispanic and Caucasian with very tan skin. She rarely sunburned. At age 13 her mole grew to a size of a quarter so we checked it out. Dr didn't express the importance of doing a biopsy said puberty probably was the cause. She is now 16, and Easter Sunday showed me her mole had changed again. It was scary black and scaley. Had all signs of melanoma. Because of her age the drs didn't rush getting a biopsy but I did thank god because I was doing my internet research. It took several pathology reports and biopsies and 14 long days before her pathology report diagnosed her with malignant melanoma 2.2 mm thick.

Her surgy to remove 1inch diameter around the melanoma spot will take a section of her tummy size of c- section. They will be testing her lymph nodes as well but we won't know how advanced it is for another week after surgery. Any input about our situation would be grateful
    It is a scary time for you right now but hopefully they have taken it all out .But if it has spread they can treat advanced melanoma so much better these days and have excellent outcomes. i hope she gets the all clear but there is much ground breaking advances right now in melanoma treatment .Wishing best all the best for you .(I am a stage 4 melanoma patient and have been on a trial drug for advanced melanoma and all is good with me this is my third year on it and no cancer at all )

Reply Reply