It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

Never thought I'd hear the words ... skin CANCER!!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2017, 07:35 AM   #1
TLLgirl
(female)

TLLgirl HB User
Never thought I'd hear the words ... skin CANCER!!

I was just diagnosed on Saturday after a biopsy done on Tues 1/31. I just wish I had looked into this sooner now.

I can see in pictures back to mid October that I had a spot appear on my forehead. Thought it was some type of cut so I used New Skin on it. That seemed to help until each time I had to replace it, it would bleed. I kept using ointment/bandaid on it. I had a battle with a 3 month long sinus infection from Sept-Dec so I just thought maybe my immunity was down and it was taking longer to get better.

Finally on Tues the 24th of January...I started to google "sore on forehead not healing," not really thinking I'd find basal cell skin cancer as the reason. I thought, no, it can't be!! But the more I read, the more I became concerned. Thankfully, I "ONLY" had to wait a week for my appointment for the biopsy. Thankfully again, my Dr. called me on Saturday the 4th instead of this week. So I called the surgeon this am and going for a consultation on 2/21. Most likely, per my Dermatoligist, I will have MOH's surgery.

My biggest issues are: WHY ME!! The cost...that it's on my face and the spot is going to get bigger before it will get smaller. Right now, the lesion is about the size of a pencil eraser!

If anyone is willing to share their story/pictures...I'd much appreciate it!!!

Thank you,
Tara

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: TLLgirl
Chillytx (02-16-2017),movielover40 (02-06-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Never thought I'd hear the words ... skin CANCER!!

Hi Tara,
Im sorry you are going through this. I had a similar situation but mine was on my back. I went through months of wondering why this "zit like thing" wouldn't heal and eventually went to the dermatologist. Like you, I quickly learned it was a melanoma.

I had MOHs surgery, which is not fun. You have to sit and wait between each layer removed while they look to see if they got it all...mine took 7 scrapings!
I left in pain and by day 3 was barely hurting. My scar looked like a zipper across my back, and originally the spot was only 1/2 inch in diameter. Fast forward 5 years, the scar has flattened out and the color looks 99% normal. If I dont point it out, people really don't see it.

Because this is on your face, I am sure they will be much more concientious of the scrapings...be tough. In the grand scheme of things a scar is nothing to worry about considering the alternaltive of ignoring it!

Best of luck to you! Let us know how you do!

Last edited by MSNik; 02-06-2017 at 04:35 PM. Reason: spelling error

Old 02-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #3
movielover40
Senior Veteran
(male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

Basal cell is easily treatable.

Praying for you.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:23 PM   #4
Famny
(female)

Famny HB User

I found out last week that I also have skin cancer. I'm not pleased as it is located right in the middle of my bottom lip. All though the tumor is approx an inch they have to cut out I am very pleased that it is not life threatening. I will have it done on the 17th. It took 5 stitches just for a small biopsy. Yikes!! Here for the last year I just thought it was from a bad habit of bitting my lip. Consider us lucky to not have something more serious. 🙏 Good luck with yours, I am sure they will do an excellent job.

The following user gives a hug of support to Famny:
Chillytx (02-16-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #5
TLLgirl
(female)

TLLgirl HB User

Thank you all for your support!

I called on Monday and I go for a consultation w/ the surgeon on 2/21. I'm guessing the surgery will be early March.

I also go for a full skin check on that same morning with my regular dermatologist. I'm just afraid to hear of other spots.

I'll repost once I go on the 21st.

Good luck on the 17th. Post back in here on how it went!

Tara

The following user gives a hug of support to TLLgirl:
Chillytx (02-16-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #6
Famny
(female)

Famny HB User

Thank you. I guess I didn't think about checking for more spots. I am sure he will do that as well. Let me know how you do as well

Old 02-21-2017, 03:29 PM   #7
TLLgirl
(female)

TLLgirl HB User

Famny....How did your surgery go?

I actually found out today I go in tomorrow afternoon!! It was either that or next week...since I am a worrier....I figured getting it done and over with as quick as possible was best!

Tara

Old 02-22-2017, 06:19 AM   #8
52ken
Senior Veteran
(male)

52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User

Basal cell skin cancer is the least of all skin cancers and easily removed by dermatologist. I went in for a bad one behind my left ear and the doctor found 4 more that were a lot smaller. I had one taken off every other week and it was a pain but that was 8 years ago and all is good. It is just what happens when your skin gets too much sunshine so you need to stay in the shade more. Time passes.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:38 AM   #9
TLLgirl
(female)

TLLgirl HB User

Thank you!!

I'll be glad when it's over. T minus 5 hours!!!

This is the only one, for now!

Old 02-22-2017, 02:02 PM   #10
52ken
Senior Veteran
(male)

52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User

Hopefully the first and the last.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:58 PM   #11
Famny
(female)

Famny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLgirl View Post
Famny....How did your surgery go?

I actually found out today I go in tomorrow afternoon!! It was either that or next week...since I am a worrier....I figured getting it done and over with as quick as possible was best!

Tara

Old 02-27-2017, 03:01 PM   #12
Famny
(female)

Famny HB User

Hi,
Sorry for the delay!! How's did your procedure turn out? I had to reschedule to march 3rd. Glad you got in so quickly. Looking forward to your update!!
Famny

Old 02-27-2017, 04:56 PM   #13
TLLgirl
(female)

TLLgirl HB User

It went well. He had to make 2 cuts. Had to take out a chunk of my hair since it was just below the hairline. Incision looks good. Not as red as it was. I get the stitches out on Thursday.

Good luck to you on Friday. Let us know how it goes.

Tara

Old 03-03-2017, 07:32 PM   #14
Famny
(female)

Famny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLgirl View Post
It went well. He had to make 2 cuts. Had to take out a chunk of my hair since it was just below the hairline. Incision looks good. Not as red as it was. I get the stitches out on Thursday.

Good luck to you on Friday. Let us know how it goes.

Tara

Mine is finally done! Cancer free and it feels good, well my bottom lip is swelled over my top and guessing it will be just as painful tomorrow. Ended up with 50 stitches quite a few layers, skin layered and stretched to create my new lip. Should be good as new in a couple of months or so. Glad we both are doing well. Cheers to no more. thank you.

Reply Reply