It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

Melanoma Excision

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-26-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
Patient B
Patient B HB User
Melanoma Excision

I had a little squamous cell growth on a finger a couple years ago (either cut out or shaved off--I donít know because I didnít watch--by the dermatologist in his office). Because of that, Iíve been on an annual dermatologist exam cycle since then. In spring of this year, I had appendicitis and an appendectomy. The lab report showed the appendix to be swollen with appendiceal cancer and I was also diagnosed as having a slow-growing (ďslovenlyĒ) lymphoma at that time.

During my annual exam this month, the dermatologist found a ďfunky looking moleĒ (his words) that turned out to be a melanoma. I got referred to a plastic surgeon, lucked into an initial consult appointment 3 days later and--better yet--lucked into an opening in his surgical schedule the next day. The melanoma was excised less than a week after the dermatologist told me about it and Iím now on a quarterly dermatologist exam cycle. End of story (hopefully).....

Anyhow, Iíve read that melanomas can be a repetitive thing and the odds of that being the case are higher because of my lymphoma. When I try to ask the docs what my probability of recurrence is, they all waffle and dance around my questions and avoid giving me an answer as if their lives depended on not answering me.

Does anybody have any idea whether recurrence for me is unlikely, likely , very likely or almost guaranteed?

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 02-06-2018, 11:33 AM   #2
VicLF HB User
Re: Melanoma Excision

I am so sorry for all that you have been through. Do you still have lymphoma? I had a mole removed from my arm in 2014 that turned out to be stage 1b melanoma. I had wide excision surgery to remove it and I opted (although doctors said it was not medically necessary) to also have a sentinel node biopsy because my melanoma was very close to my underarm area. Anyway, my nodes were clear, thank goodness. I, too, wonder what the rate of recurrence is. I have done extensive research on it as well. Just having cancer, of any kind, increases your chances of getting another kind of cancer. I recently read the book called A Series of Catastrophes & Miracles. It is a memoir about a woman who had melanoma and was in the first clinical trials for immunotherapy. In the book, I like the way she explains some of the medical/scientific info about melanoma.
Do you know what stage your melanoma was? Good luck to you. It is so hard not to worry. I am also curious, how were you diagnosed with lymphoma and what treatment do you do for that? I ask because I had a mammogram recently and was advised that 2 lymph nodes were visible and measurable and I have to go back in 6 months for a repeat mammogram. It makes me nervous because that is the side I had melanoma on. Good luck to you!!

Reply Reply