It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

New mole doubled in size

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2018, 05:08 AM   #1
Sophie1974
(female)

Sophie1974 HB User
New mole doubled in size

Iíve a new mole that I noticed last year after it went very dark and peeled 3 Times. It was 1mm, and now 12 months later is 2mm & getting dark again. My GP laughed and said nothing to worry about as so small and that it would be pitch black if there was a problem. Should I accept this, or ask for a referral?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: New mole doubled in size

Absolutely request a referral. Do you have any other issues such as other moles ?

q

Last edited by quincy; 04-10-2018 at 10:44 AM.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
Testroet
(female)

Testroet HB User

100% ask for a referral but also get a new doctor.

All three of the things you listed are red flags for skin cancer. I am a Melanoma survivor. I had a mole that kept getting larger and was getting darker. I had two dermatologists do the same thing that happened to you. After a few years of it staying in the back of my head, I said to just remove it for peace of mind. It came back positive for Spreading Melanoma and it was spreading twice as fast as normal. After another major surgery they were able to remove it all, but because I waited so long my scar now if HUGE! If I would have gone with my gut the first time and not been misdiagnosed, it would have been removed three years earlier and my scar and surgery wouldn't have been as major. Unfortunately, skin cancer is something that is misdiagnosed all the time. I can tell you from experience, it will keep bothering you, so just remove it. Best case scenario, it's negative and you have peace of mind to know it's not cancer. If it's positive, you'll thank yourself you didn't wait any longer. Please keep us updated and good luck!

Old 05-05-2018, 03:43 AM   #4
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Please get to a dermatologist and get it checked out. I had a similar experience on my back. Because I couldn't see it, it was between my shoulder blades- I had to ask people to check it for me. My own doctor kept telling me it was nothing.

One day, someone who had looked at it months previously, saw me in the locker room and told me to get it checked by a professional. It turned out to be melanoma and I had to have MOHS surgery which took hours- to have it all removed. I now have a 5 inch scar between my shoulder blades and consider myself really lucky.

Dont mess around with a mole...skin cancer is a real thing and you need to make sure this isnt something that can spread.

Reply Reply