It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

• suspicious mole on back

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2004, 09:09 AM   #1
    Auberdine

Auberdine HB User
    suspicious mole on back...please help

Hi,
    I'm fairly new here. I've had a mole on my back for my whole life. It's the only mole on my body. I rarely see it because it's on my back, where I can't see. It's slightly raised and smaller than a pencil eraser. It used to be a solid dark color, but now it is pinkish brown with a small dark brown *** in the center. I don't know how long it's been like this because I can't see it well unless I look in 2 mirrors. I am worried now. It doesn't hurt or anything. Are these symptoms of skin cancer?!? Help!

Last edited by Auberdine; 01-19-2004 at 02:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 03:03 PM   #2
    Saraly
    Inactive

Saraly HB User
    Wink Re: suspicious mole on back

The vast majority of moles are not cancerous even when they change a little but change in an existing mole is a risk factor for skin cancer. So don't panic but do put your mind at ease and have your mole checked by a dermatologist.

Old 01-23-2004, 07:12 AM   #3
    hilery79
    Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
    Re: suspicious mole on back...please help

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Auberdine
    Hi,
    I'm fairly new here. I've had a mole on my back for my whole life. It's the only mole on my body. I rarely see it because it's on my back, where I can't see. It's slightly raised and smaller than a pencil eraser. It used to be a solid dark color, but now it is pinkish brown with a small dark brown *** in the center. I don't know how long it's been like this because I can't see it well unless I look in 2 mirrors. I am worried now. It doesn't hurt or anything. Are these symptoms of skin cancer?!? Help!
    Hi,
    I've had a similar mole on my back for over 10 years. It's raised, firm, and about the size of a pencil eraser. It has also gotten lighter over the past few years and is a pinkish color. It used to be a purple color.
    Anyway, I finally got into see a dermatologist and he took one look at it and said it was a dermatofibroma(very benign). He just told me to watch it, and if it changes any, to come back in. I can't tell you how relieved I am.
    I also had a mole on my ankle that looked similar, but it was larger. He did remove this mole to biopsy it. It wasn't painful at all. The shot he used to numb it did sting, but I couldn't even feel it when he cut it out.

Like Saraly said, put your mind at ease and go get it checked out. You will feel so much better if you do.
    hilery

Old 02-01-2004, 05:14 PM   #4
    Auberdine

Auberdine HB User
    Thanks so much for your advice. I went and saw the dermatologist and she said it looked pretty benign (sigh) but she wants to check it again in 3 months just to make sure.
    Thanks again!

Old 02-02-2004, 05:28 AM   #5
    Saraly
    Inactive

Saraly HB User
    Re: suspicious mole on back

That's wonderful news! I know how relieved you are! Your doctor sounds good, very wise to recheck in 3 months. What a lot of people don't realize is that very early melanoma is curable. The trick is to get it while it still sits on the surface of the skin. By having your skin checked frequently, especially if you have many moles, you have an excellent chance of catching MM while in a curable stage.

Closed Thread