It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

• Mole Removal Surgury

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-13-2004, 12:12 AM   #1
    c12385
    (male)

c12385 HB User
    Mole Removal Surgury

I have a small mole about the size of a pencil eraser, only slightly smaller. It hasn't grown or anything, but since it is on my beltline, which is a riskier area, my derm schedualed a removal. I'm not having a large excission, they are just removing the mole itself. They told me not to take any advil, alcohol or smoke either two weeks or two days before the removal, as it does something to your blood. My first question is does anybody know if it is two weeks, or days to avoid those three things? My second question is that i have been taking a lot of advil the past few days. Will this effect something as small as a small-sized mole removal? it's not schedualed for over a week, do i have anything to be concerned about? thanks...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2004, 04:17 AM   #2
    Saraly
    Inactive

Saraly HB User
    Re: Mole Removal Surgury

The best thing to do is call your doctor's office and double check with him. I've had moles removed but never was told to avoid aspirin because a simple mole removal is a simple procedure and may not even require stitches. Aspirin thins the blood and shouldn't be taken before surgery to avoid excessive bleeding.

Old 03-31-2004, 08:24 AM   #3
    peskyfish

peskyfish HB User

I just went in yesterday to my derms office and he removed a mole right on the spot, he never even asked me if I took any asprin or smoked. The whole procedure only took 2 minutes!!! I was amazed, since it was my first one removed.It was on the side of my face, next to my ear about the size of a pencil eraser.

Good luck,
    A

Old 03-31-2004, 10:32 AM   #4
    motherchuck

motherchuck HB User

The dr usually recommends no Advil, alcohol etc if I am having Mohs procedure but never for a mole removal. Saraly-how do you get a mole removed w/o stitches? I am starting to feel like my dr loves the knife and stitches!! Never had any removal w/o stitches........is this normal??

Old 03-31-2004, 03:39 PM   #5
    bebettersoon

bebettersoon HB User

I've had about 10 moles removed (because they bugged me where they were) and my Dr. just froze them and burned them off with a laser. Never had any stitches.

Old 03-31-2004, 05:13 PM   #6
    peskyfish

peskyfish HB User

Mine was removed with a scalpel, no stitches.
    ?

Old 05-06-2004, 10:56 AM   #7
    miss_pell

miss_pell HB User
    Talking Re: Mole Removal Surgury

Hi!
    I've had a few moles removed without stitches~ If I've gone in and something looks suspicisous, they do what's called a scoop (that's the term they use in my doc's office) Just a quick shot of lytocain, scoop, then a bandaid, no matter what the size. Maybe your doctor is just being more cautious and removing a little more? Or might prefer using stitches so you'll have less of a scar. Personally I prefer stitches because the scar is less noticable. I've had 3 scoops, and 4 more in-depth, long surgeries that required a lot of stitches

Old 05-11-2004, 11:05 PM   #8
    positive4u
    Veteran

positive4u HB User

I suppose it depends on the person. Stitches form more scar tissue on my skin. Cutting & burning cause less scarring as does just scooping.
    Positive4U

Closed Thread