It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

• Mother diagnosed with melonoma of the vagina--help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-09-2004, 10:58 AM   #1
    oholland
    (female)

oholland HB User
    Question Mother diagnosed with melonoma of the vagina--help!

Does anyone know anything about this type of cancer and what the prognois is? I am so worried about my Mom. We just lost my Dad to Parkinson's and this has hit the family very hard.

Thanks,
    Olivia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2004, 11:14 PM   #2
    lidia09
    Veteran
    (female)

lidia09 HB User
    Smile Re: Mother diagnosed with melonoma of the vagina--help!

Hi Olivia
    I'm sorry to read of the sad news about your Dad. It must be a difficult time for you & your Mom. And now for her to discover this melanoma, must be very worrying.

I've read that it's possible to have a MM almost anywhere on the body but genitalia must surely be less usual. Mine was on the inside of my thigh (about 6 years ago). I should imagine (but I'm no expert) that the prognosis of vaginal melanoma would be no worse/better than if it's situated in other areas. If you catch a melanoma early enough in its growth & it's less than 2mm thick, there's an excellent prognosis. I would certainly consider mine gone.

Has the dermatologist/surgeon said what will happen, now you have a diagnosis? After I had mine removed, I had a wider () shaped excision done & a deeper v shape, to make sure all the malignant cells were contained in the section they cut out. I also had lymph nodes removed from my armpit about 2 years later. Fortunately for me it hadn't spread.

Will be thinking of you & your Mom. Hope you'll post & let us know how she gets on.

Best wishes.
    Lidia

Closed Thread