It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

• Old mole, sometimes kind of sore

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-19-2004, 08:10 PM   #1
    temazur
    (female)

temazur HB User
    Old mole, sometimes kind of sore

I have a mole kind of on my hip, where your leg bends, in the front. I've had it as long as I can remember...probably since I was 3 years old or younger (I'm 25 now). Sometimes, it gets a bit sore. I usually attribute this to the fact that the elasticy part of my underwear will rub it a little bit there. It's always been big. Should I be worried? I never really thought about it until recently when a few friends mentioned that their doctor is mapping their son's moles.

I don't really have health insurance right now. Is it really expensive to get a mole removed? More than $500? $1000? I feel perfectly fine and have had no health problems to speak of. I don't get really bad sunburns, stay mostly out of the sun. It's on a part of my body that NEVER sees the sun, too.

Tracy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2004, 03:24 AM   #2
    BonBe
    (female)

BonBe HB User
    Re: Old mole, sometimes kind of sore

Not to nag too much, and really if money is an issue, you must also think of that I suppose. But if you are concerned and/or worried and to ease YOUR own mind, I do not think it is hard to get your family doctor to take a peek at it, just to help you. Removal of moles is only needed when they are suspect of something worse (unless it is for 'cosmetic reasons' which in my opinion a concern over a mole is not cosmetic at all.

My mole was on my neck, tween shoulders so also I guess on the back. I too never hung in the sun and I am 54 years old, and have had that 'mole' since I was a teenager. It grew big and ugly, yet it still fooled the professionals until the biopsy was done on the totallty removed mole, and that was when they found it to be a malignant melanoma and in six days (before I even get my head around the idea of cancer) , I was in hospital having the 'local wide excision' surgery to remove the site, and surrounding tissue and six days after that, I was 'now an official patient of Princess Margarret Hospital for the next million years of my life.

So when in doubt get it looked at. I do not know the cost of mole removal, or mapping.

Bonnie

Last edited by BonBe; 11-20-2004 at 03:24 AM.

Closed Thread