It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

• freckles

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-08-2002, 11:48 AM   #1
    laria82
    (female)

laria82 HB User
    Post freckles

I'm not sure if this is something to worry about or not... but lately I've noticed more freckles on my skin. (I'm 19 and female.) I've had freckles all my life, more than the normal person has. But lately I see them popping on places I've never had them. (my back, and stomach) I was wondering if there is a reason for this. Shouldnt I have stopped developing freckles as a child?
    Its not because of sun either, because I do not go out in the sun. (i hate it)I'm also very pale.
    Some of these freckles are bigger than others but nothing bigger then the smilely face icon on this webpage.
    so does anyone have any info>? Could it possibly be skin cancer?> Should I see a doc?
    Help, i'm worried!
    Lara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2002, 10:43 AM   #2
    Jaytor
    Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
    Hi Lara:

Freckles sometimes increase in size because of age or hormonal changes [i.e. going on the pill, pregnancy, menopause]. If you're worried, pls see your doctor.

Here's some information on skin cancer. [url="http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000850.htm"]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000850.htm[/url]

If you want to do more research on freckles, use the medical term 'lentigo'.

Definition: Lentigo, sometimes called age spots or freckles, are a result of cumulative damage to the skin by sunlight. They consist of flat spots with increased pigmentation. Some lesions may be fairly light while others are darker. They are seldom uniform in shape.

Closed Thread