It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

• Moles and skin cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-29-2002, 04:47 PM   #1
    scoobydoobydoowhereru

scoobydoobydoowhereru HB User
    Question Moles and skin cancer

Hi as far as I know I dont have cancer, im 19 but i do have a few big moles on my back which i know might be a bad sign. I do like being in the sun and even use sunbeds sometimes. I also have blonde hair and blue eyes so am I more likely to get skin cancer? These moles do seem to be growing and im scared of what might happen. Also because of where i am i quite often scrape them by accident, once one had blood coming out or around it, could this also make them turn into cancer? should i get them removed?
    How common is that serious form of skin cancer? I dont remember the name, it starts with 'M'? Is it rare to get that sort of the cancer or quite likely? Does my hair colour mean im more likely to get the deadly form or just skin cancer in general? My older sister had skin cancer at a young age so im scared i seem to be likely to get it because of my moles, hair colour etc. I feel for you all if you are suffering from this terrible disease.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Sy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2002, 08:00 PM   #2
    1Dove
    Inactive

1Dove HB User
    Please stay out of the sun and sunbeds. It will make you look old before your time. And yes, being fair gives you a higher risk of getting skin cancer, including melanoma, especially since your sister has had skin cancer. If I were you, I would have those moles removed because they are in a location where they get irritated often.

Old 12-30-2002, 07:35 AM   #3
    scoobydoobydoowhereru

scoobydoobydoowhereru HB User
    ok, thanks for the advice, how easy is it to get moles removed? will the NHS do it for free or do i need it done privatly?
    Thanks
    Sy

Old 12-30-2002, 03:58 PM   #4
    1Dove
    Inactive

1Dove HB User
    I've had some moles removed, and it was done in about 5 minutes in the doctor's office. My insurance paid for it. I live in the United States so I'm not familiar with the NHS. Good luck.

Old 01-06-2003, 04:27 AM   #5
    openseason
    Senior Veteran

openseason HB User
    Scoobydo if you are blonde and fair skin you are more likely to get skin cancer. Thats been shown by the statistics. Stay out of tanning beds OMG really bad for your skin, and radiation can harm your eyes too.

Old 01-14-2003, 08:55 PM   #6
    robram4

robram4 HB User
    Lightbulb

i am a melanoma surviver and my cancer doctor told me any mole that changes color or grow in size or bleeds should be checked out right away. i loved the sun and would spend alot of time in the summer lying around my pool. i am light skinned and would tan in the summer, but one of my moles got darker and larger and turned out to be stage 2 melanoma, i was lucky, i had the mole removed completely and my lymph nodes removed from under one arm. i have to be checked out ever three months by my cancer doctor but ever things is fine so far. i will change my sun habits and wear sun protection and forget about the tan, my life is more important. rob

------------------

Old 02-08-2003, 04:39 AM   #7
    humptydoodle

humptydoodle HB User
    Hi Scooby
    I think there's around 40,000 people per year in the UK (& rising) being newly diagnosed with skin cancer although I don't know what % are melanomas. If you go to your GP & show him/her any moles you're concerned about, you'll get it done on on the NHS if any need to be removed. I had a malignant melanoma removed about 4 years ago then 2 years ago had lymph nodes removed from my armpit but now discharged from the hospital with no threat of spread thankfully! I've had so many bits cut out of my legs I've got more marks than a German bank lol. It's true that blonde hair, blue eyed (Celtic) skins are more at risk also redheads. Black & Asian skins rarely get it.
    Can somebody please explain the 'level' system of describing melanomas? I think it must be something in the US but not the UK as I was never told what kind of level mine was at. Thanks.

Old 02-08-2003, 08:54 AM   #8
    Naccer

Naccer HB User
    Hello to all, I am totally new here to these boards. I recently had two areas one on lower arm and other one by nose, checked for possible cancer. Thank God they are not YET, but he did say pre-cancerous and at the time have to be checked every 6 months. I have never had that many moles but am very fair skinned and freckles. NEVER liked being out in the sun tho' did do yard work and hanging out clothes (still do bit old fashioned I guess lol). I have a bunch of those darn pesky skin tags, had to put a bandaid on one last nite as even my nite gown kept irritating it. I did not know of these boards till this morning it is nice to know I can go some where that others know "how it is". Take care all and God bless, PattiG/Naccer in Va

Closed Thread