It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

• Melanoma Where The Sun Don't Shine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2003, 01:25 PM   #1
    humptydoodle

humptydoodle HB User
    Cool Melanoma Where The Sun Don't Shine

Hi
    I had a malignant melanoma from the inside of my thigh - a place not exposed to the sun. I'm interested to know of others who think their skin cancer wasn't caused by the sun. At the hospital where I was treated (Scotland) there were studies going on into genetic factors. I took part in that as a cousin also had a melanoma but don't know their findings or if the study is finished.
    I'm also aware that transplant patients have a higher incidence of malignant melanoma, thought to be due to anti-rejection drugs (steroids). In the past I've had huge doses of intravenous hydrocortisone for asthma but when I spoke to a doctor about this I was told that the steroids given to transplant patients were different. Strangely though I know someone who had a kidney transplant & the steroids are the same as those given to asthmatics!
    Anyone else had a melanoma where the sun don't shine?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2003, 03:19 PM   #2
    1Dove
    Inactive

1Dove HB User
    Very interesting! My dad has been taking inhalants for years to control his "asthma", and he is also battling melanoma that has metastisized. I wonder if there is a connection. I've always thought it can't be healthy inhaling all the stuff into his body for so long. What's ironic is that now we are thinking he may not have had asthma at all, but anxiety which causes him to think he can't breath. But that's another story.

Anyway, he has had many skin cancers, including the melanoma, and so far they have all been where the sun does shine. While skin cancer can happen where the sun doesn't shine, it is still more prevalent on areas of the skin that have been damaged by sun exposure.

Closed Thread