It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

• removing a mole

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-25-2002, 06:46 AM   #1
    em1014

em1014 HB User
    Angry removing a mole

hi

I went to the dermatolgist last night and he wants me to remove a mole on my back to get it off and tested. I was just wondering if anyone did this before. I was wondering what it is like does it hurt??

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2002, 01:33 PM   #2
    MelanieB

MelanieB HB User
    The only thing that hurts is the needle to freeze the skin before they cut out the mole. There's something about the local anesthesia they use that really stings a lot more than a normal needle.

If they are doing a full excisional biopsy (which I'd recommend you ask them to do) then they'll cut the whole mole out. It will be just barely wider than the mole in one direction and about twice the width of the mole in the other direction, to make kind of a football shape. This makes the closing clean with no bunching. They pull the two longer sides together and stitch it up. Stitches come out in about a week (you have to go back to have them removed). They should have the results of the biopsy (pathology report from the lab) about 1 to 3 weeks after the actual surgery.

If they don't do a full excisional biopsy, they'll do either a punch biopsy or a scrape biopsy. While these methods do work in that enough tissue is removed to test it in the pathology lab, they aren't the preferred method if the mole does come back as malignant melanoma. If it is melanoma and you've had either a punch or a scrape biopsy, they won't be able to properly stage you. Staging is based on the depth of the mole into your skin, and if they just scrape off the top or take a tiny punch of only a portion of the mole, they can't find the deepest spot that is required for staging. Staging is very important as it is used to determine adjuvent therapy required.

So insist on full excision!
    Good luck.
    Melanie

Old 02-03-2002, 06:10 PM   #3
    Jess0018

Jess0018 HB User
    Yes I am familiar with this, I had two moles removed. They have two choices one uses stitches the other does not. I had one done each way. Since I am active the doctor recommended the no stitches was. In which they numb it and it does sting a little. Then they cut it out in a circle shape. They removed my whole mole this way but no stitches were used. But it took a very long time to heal completely and it leaves a bad scar. The second one i got 3 stitches because I didn't want a large scar like the first one. The same thing was done except this time stitches were inserted. It isn't a bad procedure but I would recmmend getting the stitches.

Old 02-04-2002, 07:00 AM   #4
    MelanieB

MelanieB HB User
    Jess, it sounds to me like you had two different kinds of biopsy. The one without stitches was probably a scrape. Was the scar just circular shaped or was it football shaped? With an excisional biopsy, they take all layers of skin, all the way down to the fatty layer between your skin and muscle. The excision is football shaped and always requires at least one stitch to reduce chances of infection. I would certainly hope that your derm didn't leave an excisional biopsy open without stitches...

Which is why I think you had a scrape done. I had a scrape done on a dermatofibroma once, and it looks like you describe. It looked like he took a tiny melon baller or ice cream scoop and scooped out the lesion. There was still skin tissue underneath - it didn't go all the way down to the fatty layer. If it's still within the skin tissue, you don't need stitches.

The point of all this is that if your mole that was scraped turned out to be a melanoma... well you and your doctor would both have regretted doing the scrape and not the excision. Pigmented lesions should always be removed via excisional biopsies because melanoma is so serious. Non pigmented lesions (such as my dermatofibroma) are not critical and can be removed by other methods.

Melanie

Old 02-08-2002, 12:31 PM   #5
    lexsynergy

lexsynergy HB User
    i recently had 3 moles removed from my back and sent in for a biopsy, he used a laser to remove mine which left a nasty scar...but didn't hurt, only the medicine going in hurt...

Old 02-12-2002, 08:21 PM   #6
    Jess0018

Jess0018 HB User
    The first one probably was a scrape it is a very symmetrical scar and is indented a lot. He told me if it showed any signs of cancer he would have to do it again and go deeper and larger with stitches. I wasn't real worried about it being cancerous and to tell you the truth I didn't even what to have it removed but he is a very persistent derm. I go to him for acne and he spotted the mole on my back. Then after he removed it he checked the rest of my skin for "funny" looking moles that is when he found the second one. Both came back as atypical but okay.

Old 02-19-2002, 07:24 PM   #7
    Karla
    Inactive

Karla HB User
    I just had two moles removed today. One was buy my ear and had a cyst or tumor growing under it. It made the hole that needed to be cut much larger. About the size of a large marble. I agree with everything everyone before me has stated. It really hurts now that the pain medicine has worn off. I needed 5 stiches inside and several outside. The other mole on my arm was scraped. It doesn't hurt at all and required no stitches. Good luck getting yours removed.

Old 03-03-2002, 04:30 PM   #8
    shellebelle

shellebelle HB User
    Cool

I had a mole removed Friday and it barely hurt. I'm scared to death of needles and I barely felt the one they used. Not even close to the torture I thought it was going to be.

The worst part is probably just the area around the stitches being a little tender. Advil calms it right down.

Michelle

Old 02-20-2003, 07:42 PM   #9
    JDclue67

JDclue67 HB User
    Smile

hey...i am only 20 years old and i have moles the size of pencil erasers all over my back. There are about 15 in total. i got one taken off and there is going to be a biopsy report on it, but i have not gotten it back yet. But this is the day after that i got the mole removed and now there is a big empty space with little dots(holes) where the mole used to be. is that normal? i am really scared right now. Is something growing underneath the mole. I hope that i have nothing to worry about!

Closed Thread