It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

• Basal cell skin cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2003, 11:59 AM   #1
    Careyanne

Careyanne HB User
    Question Basal cell skin cancer

Back in September I went to my dermatologist to check out a very small red patch (not raised) but felt a little irritated after I used a "Biore" strip to clean the pores on my nose. After 3 months the red spot hadn't disappeared so that's when I knew I better get it checked out.

She took one look at it & said "precancerous solar keratosis" & had me treat with 5FU topical for 2 weeks. I returned for followup & she said it looked good.

In December I noticed there was another slightly red spot near the other spot so I went in to the dermy's & she had me treat it again. In January I had followup, then again in February. She said it looked great & said "I'll see you in 3 months" & handed me the slip you take to the receptionist upon leaving. I looked down as I got to the front desk & noticed she'd written "Basal cell cancer" & I was shocked! My time was up with her & she had already gone into a room with the next patient so I went home & phoned the office & asked what it meant. I was told it was for insurance billing purposes only.

WHAT?? I'm thinking either I already have basal cell cancer or she's making note of it as what to look out for at subsequent appointments.

Anyone else have similar experience with precancerous solar keratosis turning into basal cell cancer?

I'd like to hear from you if you could share your story.

Thanks & best wishes to all of you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2003, 03:08 PM   #2
    Dianek
    Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
    That just doesn't make sense for them to bill the insurance company on something you do not have! Isn't that fraud?

Far be it from me to correct their diagnosis, but I have just recently been diagnosed with an early basal cell carcinoma and am already having surgery on Thursday.

I'd certainly followup with a talk with the doctor and find out if you do have it or not so that you can be treated and definitely ask if it's standard procedure to claim that diagnosis when it really isn't 100% sure.

No, basal cell is not deadly like melanoma, but you still need to have it removed if you do have it so as not to have it keep spreading.

I think sometimes doctors send things into insurance company bordering on an illness just so you don't have to pay for something that isn't covered.

Old 03-15-2003, 09:41 AM   #3
    wenron
    (female)

wenron HB User
    I had surgery twice for basal cell to my left temple. I had a lot of sun damage when I used to lay out and get burned. I accept to have many pop up over the years. In fact, last year, 2 showed up right near the surgery (that I paid $$$ for). A friend told me about Cansema for my skin cancer. I've removed both the new ones and they haven't returned. It's a black salve that attacks the cancerous tissue. I don't know of one person (yet) who this didn't work for. It was only $40.00 for a small tub of it and it'll last me years. I am only 37 and so thankful my friend told me about this. Hope this helps.

Old 03-15-2003, 09:42 AM   #4
    wenron
    (female)

wenron HB User
    Oops spelling error I meant I except to have many pop up...not accept

Old 03-16-2003, 07:07 PM   #5
    Pfretzsch
    (female)

Pfretzsch HB User
    Exclamation

There is a BIG problem here.

For starters, her lying to the insurance company is fraud. And if your insurance company thinks you have some sort of cancer it could cause you problems in the future if you try to get insurance from another company because now you are a "cancer surviver" and would have to declare that every time you are asked health questions on a form, otherwise you would be considered to have lied and could be refused coverage if they found out. And they would find out because insurance companies share info.

Honesty is the best course of action. Get your doctor to clear this up so the insurance company has the truthful diagnosis.

Closed Thread