It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

• fever blister or skin cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-05-2003, 05:09 PM   #1
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
    Post fever blister or skin cancer

Hi everyone: I have a small area on my upper lip that appears every now and then. It has a little clear fluid in it and bleeds sometimes. I had it frozen off once before when the Derm. said it was a precancer, but I'm wondering if it's really a fever blister. I'm thinking of trying Abreva first to see if that gets rid of it. It's an otc med. for fever blisters. Can anyone describe what a fever blister looks like? I'm so sick of going to Drs. for all my problems. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2003, 02:38 PM   #2
    lidia09
    Veteran
    (female)

lidia09 HB User
    Cool

Hi Sunshine
    I think maybe a fever blister is the US version of what we call a cold sore in the UK & what the medical profession call herpes simplex. From what I can remember, ths virus is something most people acquire as a child - the old wives tale said it came from people kissing babies! Who knows there may be some truth in that The virus lies dormant in your body & appears as a sore (usually somewhere on the face - lip, nostris, chin ) when you have a cold, are exposed to very hot/cold weather or are generally below par. The first sign is often a tingling feeling, followed by the appearance of a blister which can leak clear fluid as you said (it's infectious then). It then dries up & eventually goes away, maybe in around a week or so. I used to suffer badly from them some years ago but once was given a course of Acyclovir tablets from the doctor - it's an anti-viral drug. Since then I rarely get these infections.
    Hope this is of some help.
    Lidia

Closed Thread