It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

• Basal Cell on face

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-22-2003, 04:54 PM   #1
    german30
    Senior Veteran

german30 HB User
    Post Basal Cell on face

I was diagnosed with basal cell on both sides of my face about three weeks ago and my doctor prescribed EFUDEX 5% cream, I apply it twice a day and it seems to be helping, my doctor said it may take several weeks. I'm wondering if anyone else has used this and what were the results.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2003, 01:00 AM   #2
    forreal
    Inactive

forreal HB User
    No, haven't heard of it..but interested to know. Please share more if you have it.

Old 10-23-2003, 08:39 AM   #3
    motherchuck

motherchuck HB User
    My dr recomended this to me as an option as well. He called it chemo in a tube! I will probably ask him if I can try it out i/o of getting cut. Espcecially since I am seeing red spots on my face. I will however make sure they are indeed cancerous spots (biopsy).

Old 10-23-2003, 01:39 PM   #4
    Rick7799
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rick7799 HB User
    My doctor also called it chemo in a tube. I used it on my scalp. It took some time but it cleared it up. I was real happy with it.

Old 10-23-2003, 05:43 PM   #5
    Saraly
    Inactive

Saraly HB User
    I have used Efudex several times on pre-cancers. My doctors said it can only be used on precancerous cells, has this changed? I have had 21 Basal Cell carcinomas removed, the last one was done by MOH's surgery because it was on my forehead. It looked bad when it was first done but now isn't even noticeable. I'm worried now because I think I have one on the side of my nose. I go for a total body scan every six months now because my Dad died of melanoma 5 years ago.

Old 10-23-2003, 07:22 PM   #6
    motherchuck

motherchuck HB User
    No, my spot is a confirmed basal cell cancer. The dr suggested we try it to see if it works i.o of surgery. Since that appointment I have found at least 3 more spots I need to get a biopsy of. If they are cancerous it is worth a try. I hate to be cut, especially on my face. I fear I am walking in your shoes and that in years to come I will be up to 20 something spots as well!!

Do you all ever wonder if there isn't more to this then the sun? I am fair skinned so I usually knew not to lay in the sun and burn. Visited the tanning beds for a few years off and on but no more then anyone else I know?? I had a few good burns as a child. Does this create a life full of basal cells? Can I ever put a stop to them? I am not sure how to handle this as I am not in the sun now but these spots seem to be popping up literally in a few months!!

Old 10-24-2003, 12:07 AM   #7
    forreal
    Inactive

forreal HB User
    I think there is definately more than sun...diet and the crum that we feed out bodies, chemicals, toxins..the skin is the largest organ. If we can kill a liver with toxins, makes you wonder about our skin huh?

Old 10-24-2003, 03:52 AM   #8
    Saraly
    Inactive

Saraly HB User
    I'm 58 and had my first BBC when I was 28. When I was a child my parents rented a bungalow at Rockaway Beach and I had way more than my share of bad blistering sunburns. I also have very fair skin, light hair, light eyes and freckles. I believe my coloring and the sunburns did me in. Of course no one knew much about skin cancer back then. Another major cause of so many new skin cancers is the erosion of the ozone layer that used to protect us from the sun's damaging radiation. We can blame ourselves for that because of all the chemicals and pollutants we have put in our air.

Old 10-24-2003, 05:07 AM   #9
    motherchuck

motherchuck HB User
    Forreal, yes, I have to agree. I am slowly changing my ways though it is very hard. Everything I touch seems to have chemicals in it!! I know it is not possible to be chemical free (completely) but I am trying to reduce the amount I put into/on my body. I don't want to get too crazy about the idea but it is worth a try. I wonder if maybe my body isn't more sensitive then others. Anyone know of any good books on the subject? Maybe we should start a new subject on the matter?? Holistic skin/body care.......

Old 10-24-2003, 11:28 AM   #10
    german30
    Senior Veteran

german30 HB User
    Thank You everyone, it's always such a great feeling to get support from someone who has experienced similar ailments. I recently heard that certain medications can make you very susceptible to sunburn but have no proof as yet. By the way, my doctor told me when I use the EFUDEX I would look really gross when the weeping starts, Oh Boy, was he right!! Thank you all again and God Bless!!

[This message has been edited by german30 (edited 10-24-2003).]

Old 10-24-2003, 05:40 PM   #11
    Saraly
    Inactive

Saraly HB User
    German, if you apply 2% Cortisone cream ten minutes agter the Efudex it stops the burning and itching.

Old 10-24-2003, 09:42 PM   #12
    forreal
    Inactive

forreal HB User
    Motherchuck...well, since I have elevated liver enzymes from an unknown cause, I do watch what I eat and never eat gluten (allergic to it). I know several people who have been in remission from cancer just because they changed their diet..it's huge IMO.

I am pleased to hear that there is something besides surgery doctors are using in their offices. I guess what I like most about the black salve, is that it will only attack cancerous lesions, so if you put it on a mole or lesion wondering if it is cancer, it will react if yes and not if no.

Old 10-27-2003, 01:33 PM   #13
    motherchuck

motherchuck HB User
    Well, I just ordered some cansema (we will see if I get it). I am a bit concerned though, some of the photos show big holes in the skin that look awful. Does it do this with small (very small) spots? Also, I am not sure if my dr will approve of this stuff. I need him to continue to care for me as I don't want to depend on this stuff alone. I would rather try it as an alternative and have him continue to monitor my skin.

Old 10-27-2003, 10:22 PM   #14
    forreal
    Inactive

forreal HB User
    Motherchuck,
    A friend sent me these pictures of a huge cancerous lesion on her neck and it looked so nasty at first, but now it's healed over and it looks great.

I am not sure how your doctor will handle the Cansema or not. I have finally found a doctor who is an holisitc MD and she is interested in following my progress with Cansema since I've started using it.

What you can do is use the cansema and then go and get a biopsy. If your doctor isn't willing to work with you re: alternative treatment, find someone who will. It's your body, your choice.

Old 10-28-2003, 05:06 AM   #15
    motherchuck

motherchuck HB User
    forreal-how bad did your spots look as the cansema was working? My spots are pretty small........ I am quite grossed out by the pictures I saw. Couldn't sleep last night now I am worried I shouldn't have bought the stuff. I know they say infections don't occur but how on earth could it not with a huge crator???

Closed Thread