It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

• My son's mole got scratched off.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-23-2005, 08:26 PM   #1
    irisrose
    Veteran
    (female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User
    My son's mole got scratched off.

Hi all,
    My almost 6yr old has a few moles. Very round, slightly raised and darker brown. Well, today, one of my 3yr old twins somehow scratched one entire mole right off. I saw it and cleaned it with peroxide, put some neosporin on it and a band aid. It didn't even look like it bled hardly at all.

Should I be concerned at all? If a mole gets scratched off, is there any reason to suspect something bad will happen? Or will it just be gone. That would be nice if it never even grew back, one less mole to watch on him.

Thanks for any advice!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2005, 10:55 AM   #2
    holeinheart
    Inactive
    (female)

holeinheart HB User
    Re: My son's mole got scratched off.

Hello Irisrose,
    My 14 year old son had some horrendouse problems with a large mole about the size of a one pence ( uk) on the inner side of his foot, inline with his ankle bone , but just about were your shoe side sits, about 2 years back.
    He came home one day from swimming in the sea with a slightly swollen area around the mole and it looked a bit red in places, l checked it the next day and it looked slightly 'wet' and a bit darker.
    Son carried on his normal everyday activities , school, swimming, football..........
    One week later his foot was swollen around the mole and beyond , the mole was weeping and black/scarlet/yellow, so off to the doctors that day.
    Doc saw it , picked up the phone and made a call, gave us dressings ( no medication) and sent us home, two days later there we are at a cancer clinic seeing a cancer consultant.
    She had never seen anything like it , the mole was now the size of a two pence ( uk) and son was in pain.
    After carful inspection , and some swabs /skin taken son was given specail dressings and told to come back in two days time, he then had the area taken off under local and now has a ( according to him ) 'battle scar' they took quite a bit out, but according to the consultant he had some cells which were 'suspect' and because it was in such a strange place she would rather be safe then sorry.
    We now have to take him back every 6 months to have it checked .
    If my son now gets a mole , even a small one , grazed, cut or it starts bleeding , l check it every day until it is healed if after 7 days it shows no sign of 'settleing down' then l 'hot foot it' to the Doctors.....................better to be safe then sorry, especailly with a child. holeinheart.

Old 08-27-2005, 05:17 PM   #3
    smithn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

smithn HB User
    Re: My son's mole got scratched off.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by irisrose
    Hi all,
    My almost 6yr old has a few moles. Very round, slightly raised and darker brown. Well, today, one of my 3yr old twins somehow scratched one entire mole right off. I saw it and cleaned it with peroxide, put some neosporin on it and a band aid. It didn't even look like it bled hardly at all.

Should I be concerned at all? If a mole gets scratched off, is there any reason to suspect something bad will happen? Or will it just be gone. That would be nice if it never even grew back, one less mole to watch on him.

Thanks for any advice!!
    No, there isn't reason to suspect any serious consequences. You treated it well. Keep a close eye on the area and see what comes of it. It may or may not, return.

The Following User Says Thank You to smithn For This Useful Post:
    kepenrod (08-02-2011)
    Closed Thread