It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

• Newly diagnosed Stage IV Melanoma.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-25-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
    ___vintaqe
    (female)

___vintaqe HB User
    Newly diagnosed Stage IV Melanoma.

My boyfriend is 24 years old, and was diagnosed with Stage IV Melanoma on the 22nd by M.D Anderson in Texas. They did a variation of tests, and his MRI came back with 2-3 lesions in his brain, approximately 2cm in size with the possibility of bleeding in one lesion. I am so scared for him, and really do not know what to expect. We have to fly back out on Monday for a consultation with a Neurosurgeon and to discuss treatment options. I am having a hard time finding anyone who has gone through Stage IV Melanoma. Is there anyone here who has gone through it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
    westllen
    (female)

westllen HB User
    Re: Newly diagnosed Stage IV Melanoma.

LadyPepper is right

I wish I had some experience to help you, but I too am not Stage IV nor is my daughter.

I wish you and your boyfriend the best.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:31 PM   #3
    mcr285
    Inactive
    (female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User
    Re: Newly diagnosed Stage IV Melanoma.

I am so sorry to hear about your boyfriend. I can't imagine how scared you must be for him! He is lucky to be treated at MDAnderson, they are amazing! Who is his doctor? Is this the first time he's had melanoma? How extensive is it? What led him to seek a doctor (ie: were there external signs of melanoma, did he have a scary looking mole, or was he just feeling bad or hurting and after a lot of other tests they finally found cancer?)?

The only real advice I can give you (and/or his family) is to question and research EVERYTHING before you (your boyfriend) commit to any type of treatment. Be aware of all the drug interactions and side effects of each medication he is on (the pharmacist at MDAnderson was an amazing source of information). Your boyfriend will be seeing numerous different doctors... make sure each doctor is aware of what the other is doing.

I've heard that attitude is everything when it comes to beating cancer. My Dad is proof of that. He had stage iv melanoma with tumors literally everywhere in his body. From what other people have told me, with as many tumors as he had, he shouldn't have lived as long as he did. He lived and fought bravely for 10 months before finally passing away last week. There have been so many new breakthroughs recently, your boyfriend has a good chance if his attitude is positive and he is willing to fight. I wish you all the best and will keep you in my prayers.

Closed Thread