It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

• Bowen's Disease

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
    Bowen's Disease

Hello Everyone........Thank God for you guys....

Well here I have been worried about my Thyroid all this time...and there was something else lurking.

I found a lavender flat spot in my genital area about 2 months ago..it did not hurt or itch....just an odd colored spot. Well I had it off last Thursday and it came back Bowen's disease Carcinoma in situ....... Only I could get a skin cancer where the sun don't shine

I have cried all afternoon. I am grateful it is not Melanoma. My Dad and brother had Melanoma. But I am scared. It has a 30% metastisize rate.

Here is a bad Doctor story for you:

So I woke up today with swollen glands in my groin, armpit and neck and said that is not okay. So I called this Female Gyno that did my Biopsies ( she had not gotten the report back yet that I had cancer) I told her I thought my biopsy area had an infection. She completely blew me off. Did not even come to the phone. Had her nurse tell me it was " unrelated and to see my family Doctor". So I went to my Family Doctor and he was alarmed. He said I needed antibiotics and called for my Path report. We together read the results..........He told me I had cancer not the jerk who did my biopsies. I will never step foot back in her office...I am going to see how long it takes her to make that call to me....

Just say a prayer for me .......make sure when you get your female exams that they look at everything really good and check for skin cancers down there too.

Oleander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
    juner50
    (female)

juner50 HB User
    Re: Bowen's Disease

Hi Oleander,
    Sorry to hear that but glad you caught it. I had Bowen's removed from my finger years ago. It didn't at all look like skin cancer. It was an Endo I was seeing at the time that noticed it on my finger. I thought it was a wart or something....which was odd because I never had a wart before.

If I were you I would go find another Derm that specializes in MOHS Surgery and have them take a look and give you their opinion.
    Take care hon.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you......I am reading up on it tonight Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Have you had anymore problems with it?

I am happy it is not melanoma and happy to have hopefully caught it early.

Thanks for sharing with me.. Oleander

Old 01-26-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Interesting in my studies it says this Squamous Cell tumor can secrete a parathyroid hormone that can make you have an elevated calcitonin.......Very interesting.......O

Old 01-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Oleander,
    I'm so sorry to hear this news. Sending you my most postive thoughts that it will turn out just fine for you.
    mw1

Old 01-27-2009, 12:07 AM   #6
    DR37
    Veteran
    (female)

DR37 HB User

I'm echoing Midwest here and am sending positive thoughts your way. So sorry to hear that you had ANOTHER health issue to deal with. And hooray for you for not going back to that Gyn. Has she even CALLED you yet?! So lame...Anyway, best of luck dear. Let us know how it all turns out.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #7
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

I am wishing you the best and have you in our prayers. You have been a great help to many here and hopefully this issue resolves quickly and efficiently despite the MD incompetence.

I second that you should go to a dermatologist and get it and your whole body checked over thoroughly. I have a dermatologist and they give me a full body yearly exam. I make my husband and six year old son do it as well. That Ob sounds like.. well not the best MD by any standard.

MG

Old 01-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
    juner50
    (female)

juner50 HB User

Hi Oleander,
    I never had any problems with it since. As I said it was quite a few years ago. At the time the Derm actually didn't think it was anything worth removing because it didn't look suspicious but I insisted after my Endo told me to. Plus it was right on my knuckle which made bending my finger hurt. Boy was I glad I listened to the Endo!! The Derm was rather shocked AND apologetic after the results came back.

I'm really past due for another checkup. Your post just gave me the kick in the butt that I need to make an appt.

Sending good thoughts your way and make sure you follow up with another Derm.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
    kindspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

So sorry you're having to deal with another health issue, Oleander. Gee, the doctor crapola continues... Glad you are on top of this! Isn't it strange how people get c's in non sun areas. Sending you prayers and healing!!! cj
    Hysterectomy

Old 01-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #10
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Oleander-Best of luck to you . Hopefully you are now through the worst. . Odd that the dr. doing the biopsy wasn't responsive to you when you had concerns . Yes, that would get to me too and make me wonder about the level of involvement that she was willing to have. Trust your feelings on this . Let us know how it goes

Last edited by osteoblast; 01-27-2009 at 03:33 PM.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
    keystone206
    Veteran
    (female)

keystone206 HB User

Oleander,
    Sorry you are going through this! Will keep you in my prayers!

Old 01-28-2009, 06:29 AM   #12
    alikat709
    (female)

alikat709 HB User

can we all get some kind of movement going to get rid of all these lame doctors????? We all here have been left at the mercy of incompetant doctors Yet they still all have their medical licenses and are still practicing their VOODOO on many more helpless people out there. Is there not something that we can do ???????
    kathy

Old 01-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #13
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

Oleander, I can't tell you how sorry I am that you've had a scare such as this. I know how difficult it must be. Carcinoma in situ is a good thing to hear though. It means it's confined and almost always curable. My dad had an area of squamous cell carcinoma removed from his face many years ago and so did my brother-in-law. Both of them are totally fine. You will be too. You've got to be. I'm still saving that jug of moonshine for our party.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #14
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you all for all the great responses and information........As ususual you guys are all awesome!!!

I have been in an ice storm up here and no power or water for 4 days now...unable to answer. Pioneer woman I am not. I have a wood heat source and I always have a good water and food supply. Many people without power still......So sorry I am delayed in my response.

Nothing like sitting in the dark and cold pondering your skin cancer.
    ..Actually I am feeling better mentally and have an appt with an Onc Dermatologist on Feb 3rd my Family Doctor set up for me. My Family Doctor has been wonderful and very supportive of me.

I have NOT heard from the Gyno.....she has yet to call me. I am going to wait and see how long it takes for her to call me with my results.. I will probably have seen the Derm by then...

My lymphnodes are settled down since the antibiotics so I feel better about that.

Thanks you guys and I am in much better spirits.......I talked with my Endo too and he said he would help direct me if needed.

I will let you know what the Derm has to say... Only I could get a skin cancer on my choochie coo where the sun dont shine...........LOL

Thanks and love to all of you...........Oleander

Old 01-30-2009, 11:12 PM   #15
    DR37
    Veteran
    (female)

DR37 HB User

Oleander, I love how positive you are! Coochie coo, haha, you're too funny

SO glad you're lymphnodes are better and you're getting support from your OTHER Dr.'s. Let us know how your appt on the 3rd goes! And if you-know-who doesn't call you until after your Derm appt, you should write her a guilt-ridden nasty gram so she doesn't make the same mistake with other patients.

Ooh, I'm happy you're one of the lucky with power back! Sending warm fuzzies your way!

Last edited by DR37; 01-30-2009 at 11:12 PM.

Closed Thread