It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

• worried about skin cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
    1stxmom
    (female)

1stxmom HB User
    Unhappy worried about skin cancer

Hi.
    I am a 30 yr old female. I have fair skin. For the past few years I have had red sores on my back and chest. They bleed from time to time and are tender to touch. They will not heal. I have always assumed they were pimples. I decided to go to the doctor because it was getting worse. The doctor wants to do a byopsy in two weeks to see what it could be. I am really scared it could be skin cancer. And if it is I wonder how successful it will be to cure since I have had for a few years. If anyone has any idea what they think it could be please let me know.

Christy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
    sjb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
    Re: worried about skin cancer

Hi I would be interested to know how the biopsy turns out. They say skin cancers are one of the easiest to cure. A relative had several removed from his nose and one from a bowel later but his final cause of death was not cancer at all. Years later it was from pneumonia and he was well aged.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

My first bout with skin cancer 2 years ago was a mole I had for at least 7 years. The Dr. I had at the time said, and I quote.."If it wasn't on your face I'd tell you to have it removed". I was getting worried about it as it was increasing in size and getting painful and bleeding at times so I took myself to a Dermo Dr. Naturally he said it should have been removed years ago, so a week later when I was having throat surgery they removed it as well.

Needless to say now if I see anything suspicious I see my Dermo guy and if caught early he freezes it off. Just 2 weeks ago I noticed 2 more so I made an appt. and he froze those off and told me...Good, you caught it nice and early. Don't wait, just go, better safe then sorry.

Best wishes....JJ......

Old 01-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
    sjb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

When the cancer was taken off the face it was not even noticeable afterward that any surgical procedure had been done, it was a nice job on the part of whoever did it. Even more surprising, this was years ago maybe about 30 or so years ago before a lot of the fancy equipment.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Mine was done 2 years ago, and although there is a VERY slight dent over my left eye, it is hardly noticeable. Last year I had one on my forehead right at the hair line, that was done by the Moh's surgery. Both surgeons did a great job, but I'll pass on anymore....

They say the worst place to get skin cancer is the nose as it can lead to needing plastic surgery if not caught in time. I never even knew that mine was skin cancer until I saw the Dermo guy. Obviously my OLD Dr. was sooo wrong to try and have me leave it be and I thank God I had the sense to see someone else. Oh well, at least my new Drs. give me much better advice.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
    Chele60
    Veteran
    (female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjb View Post
    They say skin cancers are one of the easiest to cure.
    When people say things like this, it makes me testy. There are different types of skin cancers, and there is no "cure." With basal and squamous cell skin cancers - which are slow growing cancers and typically not lethal - they can be cut out, and there is usually no follow-up care.

However, melanoma remains one of the most deadliest cancers and there is still no "cure" for it. Yes, in it's earliest stage it can be cut out - but the patient still requires years of follow-up care with a dermatologist. And it isn't uncommon for melanoma to re-surface 5, 10, even 15 years after the initial diagnosis, and after the patient has been living with no evidence of the disease.

The idea that skin cancers are "one of the easiest to cure" has become so ingrained into our society, that we still have a culture that subjects themselves to harmful UVA/UVB rays and tanning booths. Melanoma is still the #1 cancer of young women in their 20s - that's how "easy it is to cure."

Old 01-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
    sttherese
    (female)

sttherese HB User

Hi. First try not to worry....once you find out the news good or bad you will probably feel less stress. I started getting basal at 30 too. Today I went for a check up and I'm still the youngest in the office by 30 years. My basal cancers never bled but the were red patches that never healed. I had one squamous and that was kinda crusty.

Please let us know what you find out...someone here has probably experienced what you may go through.

ps Why two weeks? First available appointment?

Closed Thread