It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

• Conflicting Dr Opinions about a mole

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
    last337
    (male)

last337 HB User
    Conflicting Dr Opinions about a mole

Hello, okay so I am confused about different opinions from different doctors about a mole.

I went in to one dermatologist to have all my moles checked out. I have very olive skin and moles everywhere. I mentioned that one was bothering me so the dr quickly scooped it out. This dr did not spend much time looking at anything else and spent a total of about 2 minutes with me including the time to take out the mole.
    I get the pathology report and it says that it is compound dysplastic nevus, mild atypia (Clark's nevus). The lesion extends to one lateral margin.
    So the initial dr wants to go in and cut a much larger incision and put stitches. That is all well and good but I did not care for the dr (which I think is important) not to mention I never got to speak with her again just her nurse. So my mom (a nurse) talks to her friend another dermatologist and that dr also thinks I should cut it out with a big incision.
    I also made another appt with another dermatologist a friend recommended and that dr said that 'mild' atypia is not a really big concern and that rather than make a large incision another scoop should be taken and see what the pathology report comes back from that looks like.
    Of course I like this option better but mom doesnt. I am confused about this but I liked the last dr the best. Not because that dr gave me the diagnosis I liked the most, but because that dr spent a long time with me and explained my options and the dangers he saw.
    Anyways, I am really confused. Any advice is appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
    momfromwi
    (female)

momfromwi HB User
    Re: Conflicting Dr Opinions about a mole

I believe that "mother knows best" in this situation. I think you should go to a dermatologist you like, and have him or her remove the mole with the larger incision. I know that's what I would want my daughter to do. That way they will remove all the affected tissue and get a better diagnosis - better to be safe than sorry. I just had a mole removed yesterday and I was given the removal options, and I told the doctor to just do what is best for diagnosing the mole and for my health in the long run, so she excised the entire thing and I got stitches. Now, as long as the pathology comes out good, I will never have to worry about that mole again - it is GONE! If two of three doctors are recommending the larger incision, you should go with that. You may think you like that other doctor better, but could it be it's because she is telling you what you want to hear? It's more important that a doctor be honest and knowledgeable, than nice. And my procedure was painless and the whole thing took maybe 20 minutes-I didn't even feel the numbing medication as it was being injected under my skin. The scar will be minimal as well and will fade over time. Good luck with your decision!

Closed Thread