It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

• Anxiously awaiting nail bed biopsy results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
    kerri22
    (female)

kerri22 HB User
    Anxiously awaiting nail bed biopsy results

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum and I guess I'm using it as a vent.

I am 22 years old and caucasian. I have had a 3mm brown pigmented band on my left thumb nail (I'm left handed) for a couple of years but cant pinpoint exactly how long its been there. I never really paid much attention to it but as time went by and it didnt disappear, i became concerned as to what it was. I think it has got slightly wide over time and it grows continually with my nail from the cuticle to the very end of the nail.

I mentioned it to two different docs over the past year and got told it was nothing to worry about. I had looked online though and knew the literature suggested it could be subungual melanoma.

Back in September I went to the docs again because I decided I needed to find out what it was once and for all. They finally referred me to the hospital for a biopsy. I had an appointment with dermatology and then an appointment with plastic surgery.

Yesterday, I had the excisional nail bed biopsy done. The surgeon told me that the nail bed was discoloured into the matrix and so was the underside of nail. He said he wasnt overly concerned but also didnt know what it was. He didnt say there was a mole or anything in the matrix. ??

I now have a huge bandage on my thumb and cant really use my hand at the moment as it is quite painful. Bit inconvenient what with me being left handed.

I have to wait 7-10 days for the results.

I have to go back next Wednesday to have the dressing changed and he said hopefully he will have the results back by then.

Im just really worried. There are factors for and against; I dont show hutchinsons sign, I am caucasian and younger than the normal age for subungual melanoma. But the band does seem to grown wider over time and not really any other explanation as to what it could other than melanonychia striata which is really rare in caucasians. I have dark hair and very fair skin and never tan so it seems odd that melanin could just appear in my thumb nail. I dont get it.

I am praying to god that it isnt subungual melanoma, but even if it isnt I just dont understand what else it could be.

Waiting for the results is the the worst part. Has anyone else been through this?

Thanks for your patience and any help you can give. Apologies for the long post.

Kerri x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
    CaliGirly
    (female)

CaliGirly HB User
    Re: Anxiously awaiting nail bed biopsy results

Hi there

I wanted to respond although I'm not awaiting a biopsy I am going in for a derm appointment due to a band on two fingers and 3 toes and a handful of tan marks on my palms and soles of feet on monday and am def very nervous so I share that nervous energy you have. I've been reading all I can on ALM/Subungal melanoma and while at times we may think there is nothing else it can be--there is! Stay positive, it's nothing until they tell you it's something!!

I'm a little more at risk as I am half African American (but I did recently read a study that said that the greater risk for african americans is actually false) and I have the slightest twing of a spot on the nail fold that just popped up literally in the last couple weeks. I took a wait and see approach for my toes and in the process noticed a couple bands on my index fingers. I first noticed the lines on my toes in March of this year and now feel silly for waiting so long (altho in my defense I didn't have healthcare until May--which is when I should have gone!). I also reexamined about 10 tan spots on my palms/soles that have been there for anywhere between 7 years and several months, and again feel so silly for letting it go but what can you do? Be more vigilant and warn others.

I'm not sure the derm will want to do biopsy but at this point I feel like I'm going to insist for all the nail beds and a few of the spots on my palms/soles...not looking forward to that!! I'll keep you in my positive thoughts and check back in couple weeks. Looking forward to hearing everything went well and you've gotten a clean bill of health! And of course sharing the same news with you!

take care!

Old 10-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
    kerri22
    (female)

kerri22 HB User
    Smile Re: Anxiously awaiting nail bed biopsy results

Hi CaliGirly,

Thanks for responding, means a lot

I'm sorry to hear that you are worrying too! Like you said, it's nothing until they tell you it's something. I'm sure it will turn out to be nothing to worry about for both of us. Wishing you the best of luck for your appointment with your dermatologist tomorrow, I will be of thinking positive thoughts for you!!

Take care!

Closed Thread