It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

• Possible melanoma ... so scared

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2014, 06:11 AM   #1
    Amyls
    (female)

Amyls HB User
    Possible melanoma ... so scared

First time poster here, very concerned and anxious and hoping for some insight. I had a mole removed from the front of my neck 3 weeks ago. It was small, 3mm diameter, raised, symmetrical, and black with a white streak seen on dermoscope. The dermotologist said that he didn't think it was cancer but would have it tested. Two weeks went by with no word. The nurse finally called and said it had some atypical cells so it was being sent to a dermopathologist who specializes in diagnosing pigmented moles. I had the path report sent to my primary care doc who said it was atypical but fine, although they were not sure that they cleared the margins. I felt much much better after speaking to him. Well, I get a call yesterday (3 weeks after removal) from the doctor who removed it. He said that the dermopathologist is "leaning on the side of not melanoma" but since this is a difficult case they are having it sent for FISH testing to be sure. He said it is most likely not melanoma, as several pathologists have agreed. But they're still sending it for one more test. Is this just to make sure or are they not telling me something?

I have anxiety and have convinced myself that I have a terrible form of melanoma. Does anyone have any insight here? I am 31 with two babies and am just so so worried.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
    lenvegas
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
    Re: Possible melanoma...so scared

Hi, the fact that several pathologists have cleared it ia great sign, they are not holding anything back from you. There is a big gap in between normal and cancerous cells with several categories in between so atypical cells do not necessarily mean cancerous as there are also many levels of atypical cells in the precancerous stage. Your doctors would rather be 100% sure rather than 99% sure. Me,I grew up in the Florida sun and as a result I have had several of those moles cut off and a few times they were checked by different pathologist and were like yours being atypical but in the end it was always negative so not to worry. Please post back when they give you the all clear....Take care

Old 04-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
    Re: Possible melanoma...so scared

Hi,

Try not to worry.
    I have had four moles like you have described and a large lump on the side of my nose removed and though all were a form of skin cancer all the biopsy's came back non-malignant, yours sound positively good and rest assured your Dermo Drs know what they are looking for,

Solofelix.

Closed Thread