It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

• Mohs surgery on nose in 2 days ... super scared ...

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-09-2015, 01:05 PM   #1
    scaredofmohs
    (female)

scaredofmohs HB User
    Mohs surgery on nose in 2 days ... super scared ...

Hi,

I'm scheduled to have Mohs surgery on my nose in 2 days and I'm so, sooooo scared. I have a basel cell carcinoma that is going to be removed during Mohs on morning of 3/11 and later that afternoon will be seeing plastic surgeon for probable skin graft and ear cartilage reconstruction. Will be awake for the Mohs and IV sedation for the repairs.

Can anyone give me some positive words of encouragement? I've had this diagnosis for for 8 weeks now and I've stressed myself out over it morning, noon and night. I've seen all the gory pictures on the internet. Any words of comfort at this point would be SO APPRECIATED.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
    rebecca70
    (female)

rebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB User
    Re: Mohs surgery on nose in 2 days...super scared....

Don't worry! my husband had Mohs procedure on the nose several years ago done by an excellent derm. It was painless and left no scar. He did not see a plastic surgeon afterwards. The skin cancer has not returned. You will be just fine.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:52 AM   #3
    scaredofmohs
    (female)

scaredofmohs HB User

Thank you so much for replying. I'm trying to stay calm but quite frankly have never been so scared in my life.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #4
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,

I had the same as Rebecca's husband had three years ago. I had a growth the size of a small finger nail removed.
    I had a local anaesthetic by injection in my nose which I might add made my eyes water but was bearable.
    I never felt a single thing during the removal and as it was right in the centre of the side of my nose it could not be stitched as there was no flesh to pull together.
    It took about four months to heal but now I have just the tiniest scar there which doesn't bother me and NO Cancer T.G.
    I have also had four moles removed with "Liquid Nitrogen" and that is painful.
    Try not to worry everything will be fine,

Solofelix.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:18 PM   #5
    scaredofmohs
    (female)

scaredofmohs HB User
    Re: Mohs surgery on nose in 2 days ... super scared ...

Thanks Solofelix.... I see that you live in Ireland. I'm in the U.S. but 50% Irish....must be our Irish genetics huh? Thanks for letting me know that it's not terribly painful to have Mohs surgery. I really need the reassurance right now as my surgery is first thing tomorrow morning. I'm expecting the injections in the nose. I've heard that's the worst part? I "think" I can get through the injections. The nurses have been reassuring to me that they will take their time and go slowly. I'm worried about feeling the doctor slicing my skin! It sounds like you didn't have any cosmetic surgery to repair your wound? My BCC is in the middle of my nose too (on the side). They told me I will need a little piece of cartilage taken from my ear and a skin graft from my shoulder to repair it. At least I will be asleep for the repair part of it. Worried about how much pain I'll be in afterwards and that I'll look like a monster! I'm shaking in my boots....

Old 03-11-2015, 07:49 AM   #6
    beachgurl1
    (female)

beachgurl1 HB User

I just saw your post, so I'm sure you're not going to see this before your surgery... But I hope you are feeling more comfortable with the procedure and have a good experience. I too had a basal cell removed by MOHS, mine was on the left cupids bow of my lip and even with the conservative MOHS method they had to remove a pie shape wedge all the way up to the bottom of my nostril. I think you're very lucky to have reconstruction planned for the same day and should be very happy with your results. They did not realize the extent of removal required for me so they did not schedule any reconstruction at the time, I ended up waiting 6 months for my revision surgery. I hope you'll post an update once you feel like it, but mostly hope you have a great experience and great recovery.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:09 AM   #7
    scaredofmohs
    (female)

scaredofmohs HB User

i am 3 days post op from Mohs surgery on my nose. The mohs surgery was not painful....even the numbing shots were tolerable. i've had dental appointments that were my painful than this. it took the doctor two passes to get the cancer out, leaving me with a scary looking hole on side of my nose. Mohs surgery on the face is very hard emotionally, but the physical pain was next to nothing. However, the 2nd surgery, where the repairs were done has left me in some good amount of pain. they took cartilage from ear and skin from in front of my ear for skin graft. i have what is called a "bolster' - a mesh like device holding the cartilage and skin graft in place in the hole in my nose. the bolster comes out 1 week post op- by taking stitches out. My ear has hurt pretty badly, the nose barely at all. i have not looked at myself in a mirror since surgery (husband and sister have been dressing the wounds for me). not worried about the scars on ear because my hair will cover any scars that i may have there. i was told by plastic surgeon to expect my nose to be ugly for a few months after they take stitches out. said the sking graft will be discolored and there will be a depression there that will take months to fill in. im sure ill be depressed once i see it. but one step at a time...keeping the faith that in the end everything will be alright.

The following user gives a hug of support to scaredofmohs:
    solofelix (03-14-2015)
    Old 03-14-2015, 01:21 AM   #8
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,

I'm so pleased all went well with your surgery.
    As I said in my previous post I had no stitches and no skin graft. I also had a deep hole where this lump was removed. However three years up the road and all I have is a small indentation and a small scar which at my pension + age doesn't bother me at all.
    Just take it one step at a time and yours will heal up well. With good surgery you will have little or nothing to show in time to come.
    Nature also plays a good part in healing wounds.
    I wish you all the best,

Solofelix.

Reply Reply