It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Throat Message Board

• Husband just diagonised with throat cancer

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-27-2015, 12:40 PM   #1
    T08865
    (female)

T08865 HB User
    Husband just diagonised with throat cancer

Hello,
    My husband has just been told he has throat cancer. He had biopsies in his throat that came back clean. wasn't until a deep needle biopsie was done that it was found.
    He was given 2 options. chemo and radiation or surgery to have his voice box removed and the 2 lypnoieds in his neck on both sides.
    We live 21/2 hours away from the #1 cancer hospital Momorial slone kettier in manhatten ny. Sorry for the typos, we are now discussing the pros an cons of each choice.
    We meet up with a radiation and oncology doctor at slone kettering that is a smaller site that is only 1 hour away from where we live next wensday to hear about option one, scary times ahead for my hubby and me too. I cant let him see my fear and need to stay strong for my husband. he is 64.
    thank you for listening
    Tracey

The following user gives a hug of support to T08865:
    sweetpotato13 (06-28-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2015, 12:34 PM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Husband just diagonised with throat cancer

Tracey, I am so sorry you and husband are facing such a serious decision and serious illness. The surgical option leaves one without the ability to talk normally, but a couple of options are available that must be learned (neither easy) that can allow some communication. I think the decision will be more clear when you hear what his survival prognosis might be with each treatment. Length of life versus quality of life is an important concept that should be discussed, as that comes into play with this decision. I hope you hear back from some people who may have gone through both treatments that can give some perspective on each. It might also help to talk to some patients who have had laryngectomy, and get an idea on how they coped and how long it took them to learn the alternative ways of communicating. Good luck with your appointment and with whatever treatment is chosen.

Reply Reply