It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board

Life after having thyroid removed

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #1
laurie41565
(female)

laurie41565 HB User
Life after having thyroid removed

I have been on here reading horror stories about how you never feel normal, have no energy, are depressed, feel sick and gain a lot of weight after having thyroid removed. Now I am totally freaking out about all this. I have to go for consult next week and I am hoping that they can just remove the cancerous nodule since it is less than 1 cm instead of removing the whole thyroid.

Has anyone that has had their thyroid removed have anything good to say about it with the exception of being cancer free which is what we all want but I don't want to be turning into a depressed, sickly person with no energy. I work full time and I enjoy going to the gym and work out about 5 days a week with weights and I can't imagine not having the energy or the strength to do what makes me feel good.

Anyone??? Thoughts???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
Reece
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Life after having thyroid removed

Don't read negative things, stay off the internet, because the people who post are those who need help because they aren't doing well, and it provides a lopsided view in their favor. Most people (other than me) who are doing well, don't post.

In reality, you will live a long healthy life, no different than if you never had thyroid cancer.....it will not kill you....one day this will be a distant memory for you, and it will be hard for you to even recall the details.

It's a bump in the road. It is important to find a good endo that will manage your levels to a place where the focus is on feeling well. I was lucky that I had a flexible doctor. It took me about 6 months to get to feeling right on medications....and now I'm fine. I don't enjoy exercise, but I do it.......I guess if I enjoyed it, it would be fun!!! You will still be the same person you were......you will be well...thinking positive is great too......

The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
laurie41565 (07-21-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #3
laurie41565
(female)

laurie41565 HB User

Thank you so much. I have been very positive until I started reading. I was just trying to inform myself but I better just wait and see how I do. Thank you for taking the time to make me feel better!!!! : )

Old 07-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #4
rosequartz
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

do you know for a fact that the nodule in cancerous? or are you just assuming, because most are NOT.....
I had nodules and they just removed half my thyroid, the other half takes over and I haven't needed medication. This was 10 years ago.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
laurie41565
(female)

laurie41565 HB User

Yes they said tested for papillary I believe it was.
How have you been since you had it removed?

Old 07-22-2015, 12:24 PM   #6
rosequartz
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I've been ok, probably same as before

Old 08-03-2015, 07:06 AM   #7
laurie41565
(female)

laurie41565 HB User

Well it looks like I'm having 1/2 of my thyroid removed Aug. 31. It tested positive for papillary cancer on my isthmus, right smack in the middle on the section that connects the 2 glands. He said if the other side looks suspicious he will have to do a whole. Hoping I can get away with the 1/2. Thanks for all the replies.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:54 PM   #8
BeStrong2
(female)

BeStrong2 HB User

Newbie- I had my thyroid removed 5/14. For me the first year was a rollercoaster. Energy level was fine after surgery, but had my challenges when going through the Iodine scans and RAI treatment. If your TSH level goes really high, depending upon your age, they can only start you back on 1/2 dose of thyroid hormone. It takes several weeks to get energy back. These were the only times that I gained weight, but always dropped it back off in about a month. I had full removal, papillary cancer on both sides, lost one parathyroid gland in the process and 3 positive lymphnodes. Hope you are recovering well!

Old 09-28-2015, 05:53 AM   #9
laurie41565
(female)

laurie41565 HB User

I am actually doing very well. Ended up getting a full thyroidectomy because there were nodules on right side also. Turned out right side was benign but better to be safe than sorry. Surgery went well. No problems. The cancer was confined to my isthmus so I didn't need RAI so they started me on Synthroid (brand name) 125mcg. I was back to work and the gym within a week. So far I am feeling really good. Feel same as before the surgery. Getting the gym 5-6 times a week with cardio and weights. Only thing I noticed is I get cold alot but that is about it. Other than that no complaints. One month out today. I go for labs on Oct. 7th so hopefully my levels are all where they should be. Thanks everybody for your replies!!

Old 12-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #10
busymother
(female)

busymother HB User

I had a full thyroidectomy due to cancer throughout the entire thyroid and was in lymph nodes as well 4.5 years ago and I am doing pretty good. At first I was always tired but t hat was until I was adjusted on my synthroid and once regulated I have been doing good. I can say that when I get hot flashes they are bad but I think menopause and this combined is the cause. I also find that I do not need much sleep. I do not nap during the day which is a plus too. Other then that I think I live a pretty normal life. O agree with some others said about not reading all the bad things. While everyone is different in this journey you can live a regular life without your thyroid.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:46 PM   #11
Robert1617
(male)

Robert1617 HB User

I am a guy and at age 28 had multiple nodules on my thyroid. I had a complete thyroid removal in Jan 1993. Immediately after surgery I remember have a little bit of a rough time working through not having my own thyroid and getting going on a replacement. I have taken Synthroid since Feb 1993 and have generally done just fine. I exercise regularly and live a totally normal life. One piece of advice, don't ever by your Synthroid from an out of the country pharmacy, as I tried this once, ended up getting very old Synthroid and wound up with heart palpitations. Find a good endocrinologist and get regular blood updates. I go twice a year. Good luck!

Closed Thread