It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board

6mm nodule on ultrasound-referred to a surgeon

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #1
Suktanker
(female)

Suktanker HB User
6mm nodule on ultrasound-referred to a surgeon

32, female with a fairly good health. I found a tiny small lump in between my collarbones and had a sensation that something was stuck in my throat. So I went to see the physician. He thought thyroid was enlarged and sent me for ultrasound. In the meanwhile, TSH was normal.

Thyroid ultrasound showed multiple cystic nodules measuring up to 3mm.

The question was raised on a 6 mm nodule on the left lobe. Here are the words:

"subtle solid-appearing nodule at the midpoint measuring 6 x 5 x 6 mm, ill defined.

Impression: Question raised of a ill-defined solid nodule at the midpole of the left thyroid lobe medially measuring upto 6 mm although this is apical to say with certainty. Appropriate follow-up advised as clinically indicated."

There was no comment on enlargement of the thyroid. I think the measurements seem fine. Normal vascularity. Homogenous in echotexture.

Does this mean the nodule has ill-defined borders or its nature solid/cyst cannot be determined? what does it mean by "apical to say with certainty?"

Anybody with a less than 1 cm nodule that looked questionable on the ultrasound but turned out to be okay?

I have a small baby and this is obviously putting a lot of stress on my family. At this point, I am prepared to be treated for the worst as long as its not ATC.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2016, 05:12 AM   #2
Reece
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: 6mm nodule on ultrasound-referred to a surgeon

This description sounds like a "multinodular goiter"....might be valuable to see an endocrinologist, sometimes taking thyroid hormone can even make those cysts and increase in size go away.....I don't know if they can get a good sample in terms of such a small nodule....many people have nodules on their thyroid, and usually its the result of hashimotos, a disease that attacks the thyroid---the description you give sounds more like that, I wouldn't worry so much at this point.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
Suktanker (04-13-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 07:12 AM   #3
CameraGirl1112
(female)

CameraGirl1112 HB UserCameraGirl1112 HB User

I would request a CT scan. The doctors thought they had found a nodule measuring 9mm on my parathyroid with an ultrasound as well. They then ordered a CT scan to make sure, and there wasn't anything there. They told me that ultrasounds can produce "shadows", so I would definitely look into a CT scan!

Old 04-13-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
Suktanker
(female)

Suktanker HB User

Thank you!

The surgeon did the ultrasound again and said that she is able to define the nodule. She was not concerned and asked to repeat ultrasound in 6 months. The ultrasound also did not show any enlargement of the thyroid. I don't know if it is still possible to have Hashimoto's. I guess I will wait until then.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:02 PM   #5
DNBN

DNBN HB User

I'm dealing with a thyroid nodule also. I believe Ill defined refers to border of nodule. The size is exact same as mine. I had a biopsy and it was benign. The surgeon has probably performed many biopsies and can give you a lot of information. Try not to worry. Hope all goes well!

Reply Reply