It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Cancer: Thyroid Message Board

Should I have my thyroid removed?? What would you do?


Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-2016, 07:56 AM   #1
CS73
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 22
CS73 HB User
Should I have my thyroid removed?? What would you do?

Hi There. I've posted here before, but it was probably two years ago. I'm looking for opinions, and maybe a what would you do?

In December 2013 I had an MRI for something unrelated, but an incidental finding of thyroid nodule popped up. I was referred to an endocrinologist for ultrasound. At that time, I was diagnosed with non-toxic multi-nodular goiter. One nodule in the upper left lobe that is roughly 1cm round. One nodule in the lower right lobe that, at that time, measured 2.5cm x 1.5cm x 2.0cm. The endo did biopsies on both. The left nodule came back "cellular colloid nodule" - essentially benign. The right came back as an indeterminate follicular lesion.

My bloodwork all came back normal.

I decided to do the Afirma test on the indeterminate one. The Afirma came back benign, so we opted not to do surgery, and to do semi-annual follow ups.

That right side nodule has continued to grow. It now measures 3.2cm at it's largest. And the latest ultrasound came back showing increased vascularity. My right thyroid lobe is now 7cm. But it's still working great. My bloodwork last week was "beautiful".

My endo now wants to remove my entire thyroid, due to the size and growth of this nodule and the increased vascularity. She also said she went to a conference this spring where there was a lot of talk about the Afirma test and it's limitations. She said the consensus was the test was good at finding papillary cancer, but not follicular, or variants of papillary. So now she doesn't trust those test results. She claims something about my case has made her "uneasy" from the beginning.

I've scheduled an appointment with another endocrinologist for a second opinion, but am I just delaying the ineveitable?

What do you all think....would you just have the surgery?

Last edited by CS73; 06-09-2016 at 07:57 AM.

 
Reply With Quote
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 06-30-2016, 10:50 PM   #2
DNBN
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4
DNBN HB User
Re: Should I have my thyroid removed?? WWYD?

Hi,
I'm very interested in what you decide as I'm experiencing a similar situation. I had a nodule biopsied a year ago and the results were benign. However, the surgeon said he couldn't guarantee no malignancy. He said it was like trying to find a worm in an apple. I opted to return in 6 months to monitor. The nodule had grown slightly but I still chose to monitor rather than surgery. I have been told thyroid blood tests are no indication of cancer. You can have cancer without abnormal hormone levels.
I've heard of people returning for long periods of time having repeated biopsies which would be frustrating. The good news in your case is how long this has been going on. If it is malignant it must not be an aggressive type. There are 4 kinds of thyroid cancer, two more aggressive and difficult to treat. The other 2 are easier to treat and have good survival rate.
My best advice in your case is a second opinion like you plan and maybe a consult with a good surgeon who performs a lot of thyroid surgeries who will probably have an ultrasound in the office and give you an opinion based on his/her experience.
My brother just went through a similar situation and had surgery to remove the lobe with the nodule only. His biopsy was benign but he has cancer in another area and was spooked by the possibility. The removed nodule was benign. He still has one lobe and should have good thyroid function. I'm wondering why your doctor is suggesting removal of the entire thyroid.
I would probably agree to removal of the one side and if the nodule is malignant agree to removal of remaining lobe.
Good luck!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:07 AM   #3
CS73
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 22
CS73 HB User
Re: Should I have my thyroid removed?? WWYD?

Thanks for the response. I did go get a second opinion, and liked this doctor a LOT.

She says, as long as there is nothing concerning on ultrasound, she would recommend a lobectomy, rather than a total thyroidectomy.

I had my ultrasound reports with me, but they were just the radiologists' summaries. This doctor says she does not like to rely on the radiologist reports much at all, and prefers instead to look at the actual ultrasound images herself. That makes total sense to me, and is something my old ENT never did.

So the current plan is another set of ultrasounds at the end of September at a facility recommended by this new doctor. Then she will sit down with me and show me on the images exactly what she sees....whether anything looks concerning or not. Based on that, we will decide whether to do a total or a partial surgery. Then of course, if there is malignancy, I'd have to go back to have the rest removed, just like you said.
It's a more conservative approach that appeals to me. And this new doctor was just so knowledgeable, well-spoken, concise and to the point. Only downside is that she's nearly impossible to get in to see.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #4
DNBN
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4
DNBN HB User
Re: Should I have my thyroid removed?? WWYD?

That's why I like my surgeon. He has ultrasound in office and explains what he sees. This latest plan for you makes much more sense. Be well and keep me updated if you learn anything new.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:41 AM   #5
CS73
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 22
CS73 HB User
Re: Should I have my thyroid removed?? WWYD?

I had my latest ultrasound and just got the printed results back. I'm waiting to see the new doctor again the first week of November. But this latest ultrasound shows additional growth of the nodule, plus a possible microcalcification. It will be interesting to see what the doctor has to say about the results and whether or not this ultrasound changes her suggestion of a partial vs a total thyroidectomy.

I will say, the mention of microcalcification has me nervous about the cancer risk again. Of the 7 indicators of increased risk of malignancy, I've now got 4 of them, despite the benign Afirma result. Sigh. Still a waiting game.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Hashimotto's - thyroid removed and turned really hyper for the second time nami580 Thyroid Disorders 3 12-21-2014 08:34 AM
Thyroid issues would account naenae80 Thyroid Disorders 1 09-26-2013 09:53 AM
1/2 of my thyroid removed now I need the other side mesueminna Thyroid Disorders 1 10-28-2003 03:03 AM
Thyroid supplements ssMarilyn Thyroid Disorders 3 08-07-2003 07:18 AM
any one had thyroid removed? momistj Thyroid Disorders 10 09-01-2001 11:43 AM




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:58 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2017 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!