It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board

Scared ... thyroid findings

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
angela703
(female)

angela703 HB User
Scared ... thyroid findings

Been having chronic headaches every day for two months. Also weight gain. Went for an MRI for my headaches and they found a growth on my thyroid instead. Went for ultrasound:

FINDINGS
The right thyroid lobe measures 6.5 x 1.4 x 1.7 cm, isthmus measures 0.3 cm, and left lobe measures 4.7 x 0.9
x 1.2 cm. There is a large, solid and cystic mass in the right lower lobe measuring approximately 2.8 x 1.9
x 2.5 cm, causing enlargement of the right lobe. There is mild heterogeneity. AP dimension of the left lobe
is small.

IMPRESSION
Solid and cystic nodule in right lower lobe of thyroid. Recommend FNA for further evaluation.

Biopsy has not been scheduled yet. I just turned 30 and have three children 8, 6, and 18 months old. All of my thyroid levels were normal, all blood work normal. I don't really understand the ultrasound findings. The tech told me it was cystic and they'd probably only want to see me every 6 months but then I see the report and it says biopsy suggested.. I am terrified. I also have had this cough since April. I had pneumonia in april and just assumed it was related to that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2016, 04:06 PM   #2
Laurenk314
(female)

Laurenk314 HB User
Re: Scared... thyroid findings

Hey,

I know all of this is hard to believe and it really doesn't seem real. I had a similar issue with only having my ultrasound results and leaving only fear. I originally went because I had a burning pain with lump in my breast and swollen lymph nodes I could feel. My health was getting really weak, I was sleeping all the time and was getting headaches frequently too. I really was thinking maybe I had breast cancer all the things were starting to add up. My hair was coming out a lot too. I got my breast results in about 2 days which turned out to be a fiberonoma I forget how to spell it, but its a tumor that's not cancerous and usually not a big deal. Back to the ultrasound I had one done on my neck just to see that same day and I got the results from that and they said I had a swollen nodule with hypo-tissue but they told the size and said that in the nodule there was what looked to be punctate calcification and it was about .6 cm. That regardless of the size they reccomend a fine needle biopsy be done to see. I went to the ent a few days later, that was a horrible experience. The doctor wouldnt listen to me at all, he put his hand on my neck and said I don't feel anything, I asked if he was aware of the results of my ultrasound he said he was I said well do you think you need to do another ultrasound or something, it's obviously there maybe you just can't feel it. He was still completely ignorant and said come back in 6 weeks. I was not having that I went back to my MD and told her what a horrible experience I went through and asked for another ent to go and see. Oh man am I glad! She was awesome, she listened to me explained everything that was going on and recommended the biopsy be done and my bloodwork to see. I did my blood work that day my tsh was 1.05 which is in the normal range but still low. So after I had the biopsy done, it feels kind of weird not going to lie it feels like they are clicking a pen in your thyroid and at one point I swear it felt like he was going to pop it out the back of my neck. They found the calcification area easily though. They take 3 samples for slides and then leave for a few minutes to make sure they have enough cells if not they have to take another 1 or 2 they got mine on the first 3 no big deal. They did tell me on their ultrasound it appeared to be about .9 cm the area of calcification. So I actually opted to talk with the breast surgeon about getting this taken out of my breast cuz the pain was so bad I could hardly deal although knowing it may not help I figured I would try and went ahead and scheduled the surgery. Which to me was a big deal I had never had any surgery before. This was that Thursday my biopsy was Monday, leaving the surgeons office about 20 mins later I got a phone call from my ent saying she had the results from my biopsy and asked if I had time to go over them I did. That's when she told me that they showed that I had papillary cancer and she recommended that I get a total thyroidectomy even though it was only seen on the one side that it would be better to take it all out to make sure. That the surgery would have me in the hospital over night and that I would immediately start on hormone replacement. Did I have any questions? I said I don't think so. I really wasn't sure if I heard all she said it was a lot to try and take in especially at 27. Needless to say I ended up being able to get both surgeries on the Same day. I still have some of my stitches they haven't fully faded away I just got it done on sept. 12,2016. My incision looks great, I've had a little bit of tightness as of late the first couple days home I had some pain. Let's just say I have stopped taking my pain pills even and I feel great. It's so crazy the immediate change I couldn't even believe it. My body was so happy I felt like I was floating almost, I think I was so used to being sick I forgot how it felt. I laughed I was telling my boyfriend my body needs to calm down that I'm not even happy it's got a mind of it's own. As scary as it sounds though you'll feel so much better afterwards if they do tell you it needs to be taken out!

Old 10-01-2016, 06:16 PM   #3
angela703
(female)

angela703 HB User

Thanks for responding.

I hate being in limbo. I just want to know either way so we can take action. Should I call them on Monday? They haven't called me with the ultrasound findings. I was able to see them via my doctors website. I just want to get the biopsy over with

Old 10-02-2016, 06:04 AM   #4
Laurenk314
(female)

Laurenk314 HB User

Not a problem trust me I'm all to familiar with the pain. I actually was able to see my results before the Dr. Called as well, if you have an ent and what not I'd go ahead and make the call to see them if that's how you actually will get the biopsy ordered if you already have that I'd go ahead and just schedule it. It will still be a little while before they can get you in to do that as well. The sucky part of that with me is that they wouldn't let that information be seen via computer for me I had to wait 4 days after my biopsy. I was and wasnt so much lucky with mine in the fact that they were able to identify the problem and know what kind it was. Not to worry you more but lot of times from what I've read they still come back inconclusive and they may have to do another of so. For me though it was crazy how fast the change happened. I am doing really well with the medicine too, I took right to it I'm not sure how much if any you have looked in to other things about it. I have a lot of energy back I haven't in a while and havent gained a whole bunch of weight or anything with out it I've actually lost a few pounds or atleast my belly has shrunk down I think a lot of it was bloating. Once you know though I think was actually one of the happiest things I heard because I knew there was finally a sign of relief!

Old 10-02-2016, 06:14 AM   #5
Laurenk314
(female)

Laurenk314 HB User

HISTORY:
Palpable lumps on both sides of the neck.

FINDINGS:
The right thyroid lobe measures 4.8 x 1.6 x 1.7 cm and contains a mixed
echogenicity 0.6 x 0.5 x 0.5 cm nodule, possibly with small
calcifications. The left thyroid lobe measures 4 x 1.8 x 1.4 cm and
exhibits normal echotexture.

The palpable lump in the right side of the neck is a 1.2 x 0.3 x 0.9 cm
cervical lymph node. Multiple mildly enlarged left cervical lymph nodes
are observed, the largest measuring 1.7 x 0.7 x 1.4 cm.

IMPRESSION:
1. 0.6 cm poorly defined right lower pole thyroid nodule exhibits mixed
echogenicity and possibly punctate calcifications and is therefore
suspicious for malignancy. Recommend ultrasound-guided fine-needle
aspiration biopsy despite its small size.
2. Left greater than right cervical lymphadenopathy of uncertain etiology.

Hers is my ultrasound results if it gives you any kind of an idea, but idk how I feel about because by time I got my biopsy done he said it was .9 then and when I was taken out I had 2 different spots all I can say is whatever relief you get I'm sure will help a lot good luck with it all let me know if you need anything

Reply Reply