It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board

Ultrasound Findings - Should I be concerned?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2017, 04:23 PM   #1
Mary Louise
(female)

Mary Louise HB User
Ultrasound Findings - Should I be concerned?

I had thyroid cancer almost 40 years ago at age 26. Surgical removal of my thyroid while 5 months pregnant and radioactive iodine treatment to destroy the tiny piece left 5 years later (nightmare). 2 more body scans. The last one 20 years ago and everything's been fine and I've put all thyroid cancer worries out of my mind. Have a great endocrinologist and he's been monitoring a tiny nodule on the left side of the thyroid area for several years. After 2 years I had a new scan a month ago with the following findings:

1st the nodule on the left side had disappeared. a new 4mm hypochoic nodule was seen in the expected vicinity of the surgical bed of the right lobe of the thyroid as discussed. The etiology is uncertain but in a patient with history of treated papillary cancer clinical as well as serologic correlation as well as follow up is recommended. If clinically indicated further evaluation with diagnostic radio iodine scan could be considered.

2. Bilaterial nonspecific normal caliber neck neck lymph node (9 x 2 x 6 mm) homogeneous hypoechoic nodule in the level 2 region as discussed. These may represent normal lymph nodes, but because clear fatty hills cannot be identified follow up is recommended.

I'm still waiting to hear from my doctor as he said he wants to look at the actual ultrasound disk before advising me how to proceed. He asked me several times if I had been sick due to the lymph node nodule. I said I hadn't been. I finally asked them for a copy of the report which is why I write this.

My daughter is a nurse and said if there is a cancerous nodule in my lymph nodes that's how it's spread. I'm not looking forward to having a scan as it means going off my meds which is a 5 to 6 weeks process, but at the same time if this could mean cancer and is caught early it's a blessing in disguise.

Any thoughts esp about the 7mm hypoechoic lymph node nodule? Should I be concerned?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2017, 01:31 AM   #2
Lovinlife13
(female)

Lovinlife13 HB User
Re: Ultrasound Findings - Should I be concerned?

I'm sorry to hear you going through this. I have read a lot due to a recent thyroid cancer diagnosis and I just went through 2 surgeries to remove both sides of my thyroid. From what I read most experts including my endocrine surgeon say bigger growth is not necessarily a cancer indicator. Cancerous nodules tend to be single, hypoechoic, taller than wide, solid, lack defined border--- almost look like a blob instead of a bubble and with internal vasularity or blood flow, you would see this on the ultrasound. My first half of my thYroid had cancer so I decided to get the rest removed because I have a family history of hashi motos. I just received results on the second half of my thyroid after it was removed. I found out that half had a defect, part of it was missing and it had hashi motos! I have never had a bad blood test for that. It also goes to show you that imaging and blood tests are limited. The imaging before surgery made my thyroid tissue look normal!! My lymph nodes are swelled and causing painful shooting sensations but they contained fatty heilum my dr did not think anything has spread out of the thyroid even with my lymph problems. I felt very happy with my decision to have it removed. It gave me peace of mind especially now seeing I would have been trying to hang on to more diseased and potentially inadequate tissue. With your whole thyroid out you may get a better steady supply of thyroid hormone because you could be going up and down like I was or your nodules could be producing hormones or hurting you from their growth and size. The pain is temporary from surgery but the worry from leaving the second half in was worse for me. The only bummer was after the second half was removed I lost Alot of hair in the shower everyday so I went and got a hair cut. I always loved my long hair! Find the best surgeon you can if you decide to get it removed. Take care of yourself get a massage, fish, or do something you love to do. Too much stressful thinking is bad for you too.Sending hugs your way!

Reply Reply