It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board

New here - Thyroid lobectomy in 3 weeks

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11
thullyer HB User
New here - Thyroid lobectomy in 3 weeks

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice. I did post on the Thyroid Disorders page but got no replies so it's possible I should have posted here, given my question.

I noticed the right side of my neck looked just a little more puffy than my left in some recent pics so went to see my GP who could see it, felt my neck and sent me for bloods. My TSH sits around 2.5 currently so within 'normal' range. She referred me to an endo at my local hospital who I saw a month later, he felt my neck and said I had a multi nodular goitre and should have an ultrasound. I'd done a bit of googling beforehand so wasn't too concerned by this 'diagnosis'. In his letter to my GP it said my right side was significantly enlarged.

Anyway, had my ultrasound two weeks later and she told me the thyroid is not enlarged but I have a nodule that is solid, 1.8x1.3cm on my right side (not massive by any means) and I'll need an FNA but she hadn't the authority to do it. She told me to call my consultant that afternoon (very alarming for the NHS in the UK) to make the appt for an FNA.

So I called and spoke to his secretary who told me he was on leave for a few days and she would show him the scan pics when he got back the following week. Then she called me the very next day and offered me an appt at his clinic the next week. Decided to see this as super-efficient admin rather than anything else!

Anyway I saw him last Friday, he immediately told me they had to take the right side out and 'the sooner the better', with a smile. I was reeling, thinking I was there for an FNA, but I haven't had one of these at all.

Tuesday morning, I have a call on my answerphone asking me to call the hospital back asap (their words). I called and was told my consultant had pushed for an asap op date and they have offered me 26 November (3 weeks on today). I was hoping for before Christmas, at the very best. Now I am really starting to stress about how quickly this is all happening. I know I should be over the moon with such swift action, especially over here in the UK where waiting times are often dreadful.

Can anyone reassure me that this is in fact normal procedure (and speed), or should I see this as an amber light for a cancer diagnosis?

Thanks so much if you've got this far - I'm aware I've written an essay....!

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: wa, usa
Posts: 69
thyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB User
Re: New here - Thyroid lobectomy in 3 weeks

Hi! Sorry to hear what you're dealing with, sounds scary... I'm wondering what they saw on ultrasound that was so conclusive they saw no need for FNA? Haven't heard this situation before. I have numerous nodules, 1 being about 2cm, others just under/over 1cm. Some have calcification and none are cysts. They don't even see fit to FNA them. So here I sit choking and wondering. I'm glad you are at least getting help. Best wishes and maybe try to get copy of your US report to see what's there?

Old 11-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 3,804
Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: New here - Thyroid lobectomy in 3 weeks

Things are very different in the UK---they are by the way, pretty good with thyroid cancer if that seems to be a concern.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11
thullyer HB User
Re: New here - Thyroid lobectomy in 3 weeks

Thanks both. Yes I have compression symptoms too so gag in my sleep, choke on food etc etc. that, coupled with a nodule which is solid and solitary is enough for them to bypass the fna and just remove. I called them btw She stressed that I may well get an unfavourable biopsy - they can't know until then. I'm pretty much expecting it. One week to go :/

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:19 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2017 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!