It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board

So scared it's cancer

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2017, 11:05 AM   #1
Qball6
(female)

Qball6 HB User
So scared it's cancer

I am 51, not yet menopausal, have a period every 28 days like normal, in December through January I had 3 normal periods in 45 days. Went to dr they did ultrasound and transvaginal.ultrasound, thought it was good. Went to Ob/gyn he said that my endio lining was 5 cm to thick. Tried to do biopsy in.office no go, cervix stenosis, did pap smear and we decided to do hysterocpy. Pap smear came back, atypical glandular cells with squamous cells. My fam.prac dr said they are just screening me but everything I read on line says it's more. Last night I spotted.blood and had a discharge and now I am.more scared, I see the ob/gyn on Wed for preop.appt he is also now doing the colopscy. Can anyone shed some light on thier experiences, I have 4 children, just got my dream job at a great.company and.moved from.Illinos to California.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: So scared it's cancer

I know our minds tend to think the worst. But the odds are in your favor that this isn't serious. Hopefully, the colposcopy will show it's low grade and it will resolve on its own or, worst case, require removal of the abnormal cells. I've only had one abnormal pap (don't recall the details but I don't think it was glandular cells) and my gyn repeated it 6 or so months later and all was normal.

Irregular bleeding (despite normal cycles up until January) are very typical for someone your age who is transitioning to menopause. These irregular cycles can cause the lining to build but the body usually does a good job of clearing it out over time before abnormal cells present and proliferate. I've read a number of women's posts who've had biopsies due to thick linings (or post-menopausal bleeding which isn't your situation) and the large majority have been normal and attributed to hormonal changes.

You said your lining was 5cm too thick. Did you mean 5mm? An ultrasound is best done within a few days after a "normal" period ends since that's when it's thinnest. It typically gets up to about 16mm (1.6cm) around mid-cycle. But, again, it's not unusual for the lining to get somewhat thicker than normal during perimenopause when hormones are fluctuating a bit and cycles go "crazy."

One other thing - there is a drug that is sometimes used off-label to soften the cervix in order to do an endometrial biopsy... something to know if that needs to be done. But from what I've read, it doesn't always work.

I hope all goes well on Wednesday with the colposcopy. Let us know what you find out.

Reply Reply