It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board

Update on biopsy

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2018, 01:10 PM   #1
Nina46
(female)

Nina46 HB User
Update on biopsy

Hi all,

well my d and c biopsy showed that i have hyperplasia without atypia. My gynecologist still recommends a hysterectomy due to this being a pre cancerous condition however there is no rush. I have read on the internet that its not always necessary and can be dealt with hormonal treatment and follow up d and c every 6 months. If the d and c biopsy at some point shows atypia then proceed to a hysterectomy. I am happy its not full blown cancer but am stuck on what to do. I hate surgery. Anyone not get surgery for hyperplasia only and regretted it?

Last edited by Nina46; 02-24-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Update on biopsy

Get the D&C done now...its a very simple procedure and you will be up and back to yourself the same day...

Better to protect yourself then to wait...and yes, this is from firsthand experience.

Im glad that things are looking up for you!

Old 02-24-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
Nina46
(female)

Nina46 HB User

I did have the d and c already, I am not sure if you mean have the hysterectomy done now. My d and c was only a month ago showing hyperplasia. They wont do another one for at least 6 months. just confused.

sorry i just corrected my post i meant to say recommends a hysterectomy not d and c

Last edited by Nina46; 02-24-2018 at 02:19 PM.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:35 PM   #4
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

From everything I've read on hyperplasia without atypia, hysterectomy seems overkill. Medication oftentimes cures it so that should be the first thing tried. It's concerning if that was not even offered. Hysterectomy is way overused and contrary to what women are typically told, it is associated with a number of increased health risks especially in the long-term, one being heart disease the #1 killer of women. It has negative anatomical effects too.

Although I did not have the same condition as you, I had an unwarranted hysterectomy 12 years ago. It sent my life into a spiral and now I am faced with the long-term negative effects and risks as well.

I wish I had done more research and not let my doctor's cancer scare tactics get the best of me. I also wish I had not let the urgings of family members push me into a quick decision.

Best of luck in getting the necessary information you need about your condition and treatment options to know how to proceed.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:22 AM   #5
Nina46
(female)

Nina46 HB User

Thank you for the replies.
These were my options
1. take continuous provera(synthetic progesterone), which has many side effects at my age including strokes and blood clots and have a biopsy done every 6 months to see if changes happen.
2. if cancer appears from biopsy results then i would have to be refered to a gyne oncologist who would have to do a hysterectomy plus biopsy of lymph nodes to see if cancer has spread.
3.have a hysterectomy now and be done with it.
so not sure what i should do. My condition increases my chances by 2 percent overall but that could change as i get older or my condition changes from no atypia to atypia.
was looking to see if anyone waited and had a bad outcome or things changed fast. THANKS

Old 02-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

This is my reality.....i would refuse the medications outright, consider to wait 6 months for another biopsy. If it remains the same, I might wait another 6 months for another biopsy.
Most likely, I'd have a hysterectomy and move on.

Did you have cone biopsy?

You know the side effects of the meds, you know the worry of waiting. If one year is within reason to the gyne to wait...as well as with research...give it time for you to wrap your head around the probability of surgery as prevention of cancer. Plus, if it has become cancer, you will be required to go through chemo.

When I had ny hysterectomy, many women gave their condolences. It puzzled me, and my reaction was that it's a part of the body that is expendable and I can function without it. I have no children by choice....another condolence from some women, sheesh.

Your choice only....but base it on facts and quality of life and peace of mind....not on emotion of loss or guilt.

q

Last edited by quincy; 02-27-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:15 PM   #7
Nina46
(female)

Nina46 HB User

Hi quincy
not sure what you mean by a cone biopsy i had a d and c one with a hysto something where they put a light in the uterus to see.
Anyhow just reviewed my 2 biopsy reports
one showed atypical hyperplasia (a <2mm spot of atypical cells)
second biopsy hyperplasia no atypia
so now i am more confused than ever.
going to call gyne for clarification, then decide. However thinking to just do the hysterectomy because the waiting around to see if i develop cancer just seems like wasted worry and negative thinking.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:46 PM   #8
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I incorrectly used cone biopsy....i had one done looong time ago, but it was for the cervix. Regarding your pathology, it would probably mean one area checked is with atypical and the other typical hyperplasia.
Or do mean you have two different reports done by different labs?
I agree clarification is best.

What was the reason for the D&C originally?

q

Last edited by quincy; 02-27-2018 at 09:50 PM.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:52 AM   #9
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Provera does have some risks but it seems those would only last while taking it. I don't know if there's a vaginal form but that would seem to mitigate the clotting risks since you don't have the first pass through the liver of oral meds.

The negative effects and increased health risks of hysterectomy are permanent regardless of your age. I was almost 50 when I had mine. Granted, if conservative treatment / medication and D&C's don't cure the hyperplasia, you have no choice but to have a hysterectomy.

Best of luck making this decision.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:10 AM   #10
Nina46
(female)

Nina46 HB User

HI quincy

so my in office biopsy report stated i have atypical hyperplasia because there was a small focal point of atypical cells (<2mm)

my d and c biopsy was done to further investigate my lining to see if they had missed anything in the in office biopsy. That result was simple hyperplasia no atypia.

so i am a bit confused but i gather that i have simple hyperplasia with it progressing to with atypia as a spot was found.Either way it is early enough to deal with it before it turns into full blown cancer.
STLousigal, that is correct so i may just have it done with so i am not running back and forth doing d and c and waiting for results every 6 months. I wouldnt want to get a cancer diagnosis and then need treatment.It's a tough one i know,

Old 02-28-2018, 12:27 PM   #11
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

Im assuming they couldnt do each and every part of the lining after the D&C, but I've not done any research on that aspect.

When do you see your gyne next?

q

Old 02-28-2018, 01:38 PM   #12
Nina46
(female)

Nina46 HB User

It sounded like they got a pretty good amount. By the way my reason for going to the gyne was for heavy heavy monthly bleeding which is horrible and its a symptom of hyperplasia.
My next appointment is to discuss the surgery which i am doing in the fall, to discuss the procedure .o probably seeing her in August,
I have he summer to think about it . I am not going to take the provera in the meantime and not even tell her.

Last edited by Nina46; 02-28-2018 at 01:40 PM.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:38 PM   #13
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks for clarifying why the D&C.
Please let us know how the August appt goes when you talk with your gyne.
q

Old 03-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #14
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

I wish you the best with surgery and recovery. Be sure to take the recommended recovery time (typically 6 to 8 weeks) regardless of how you are feeling and the size of incisions.

Reply Reply