It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board

• future possibility of uterine cancer???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2005, 11:34 PM   #1
    wmkcolors
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User
    future possibility of uterine cancer???

I was diagnosed with rectal cancer in 2000. Fortunately, it was caught very early and I only had to have precautinary radiation. Still, this put me into menopause right away, at 37. Since then, my gyno. has said that pelvic radiation increases the chances of a woman getting uterine cancer. My mother just died of cervical cancer, so, I'm hyper-aware of cancer, in general, these days. Since going into menopause, I've dealt with vulvodynia and loss of libido; etc., which I'm trying to treat. Now, I'm scared I'm going to get uterine cancer, by treating my other cancer. My gyno. said some women get a hysterectomy down the road, to prevent the possibility of getting uterine or ovarian cancer, but I'm not ready for that. I'm not having any symptoms, and I see my gyno at least twice a year. Should I get a uterine biopsy now, to be safe, even with no symptoms? My mom had no symptoms, until her cervical cancer was caught at stage 4. I think she only missed one pap smear. I don't miss any of my tests after all this. I'm exhausted and confused.... Would you want to get a precautionary hysterectomy? I'm on HRT, which helps reduce uterine cancer in postmenopausal women. SIGH!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2005, 01:00 PM   #2
    Hangin in There
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hangin in There HB User
    Re: future possibility of uterine cancer???

I wouldn't jump into a hysterectomy right away. I think the first step in diagnosing abnormalities with the uterus is an ultrasound. I had one...the doctor thought she "saw something" so then she performed a uterine biopsy. No cancer was found.

Old 03-30-2005, 01:48 PM   #3
    MellyMel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MellyMel HB User
    Re: future possibility of uterine cancer???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hangin in There
    I wouldn't jump into a hysterectomy right away. I think the first step in diagnosing abnormalities with the uterus is an ultrasound. I had one...the doctor thought she "saw something" so then she performed a uterine biopsy. No cancer was found.
    I agree!!

Closed Thread