It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board

• Anyone Else Have This Problem?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2005, 06:59 AM   #1
    noodles886
    (female)

noodles886 HB User
    Anyone Else Have This Problem?

Please excuse me if this post is lengthy but I have a lot to say.

In December 2004, I had a postmenopausal bleeding episode and went to my gyn. I had my yearly PAP/HPV test and everything was normal. He suggested a D&C but wasn't sure he could do it because I have a huge fibroid (honeydew melon size). Suggested I see a gyn/onc. but said it could wait til after the holidays. I saw a gyn/onc. in February 2005, he tried to do an endometrial biopsy but was unable to because of the fibroid. Suggested a D&C which I had on March 9. He told my husband after the D&C that he was unable to do the hysteroscopy because of the fibroid but that my endometrial lining wasn't as thick as he thought it would be and that nothing felt abnormal. Said we had to wait for results of pathology tests. I was told a few days later that everything was ok. When I went for my post-op visit, I asked what to do if I saw any more bleeding and he said if it was within 6 mos. not to worry; after 6 mos. he'd have to do another workup. I asked for copy of pathology report and didn't read it until I got home. It seemed very inconclusive...said something like "No endometrial tissue available for evaluation". I am the type of person who needs to know everything so I called his office. His nurse called back and said that because of the fibroid, the doctor didn't get a large sample but that it showed no abnormal cells or hyperplasia.

About 3 weeks ago I had another bleeding episode (2-1/2 days) and I panicked even though the doctor told me not to worry if within 6 mos. I called his nurse, she said she'd talk to him and called me back. Said he was not alarmed and didn't need to see me unless I felt I needed to see him. I made an appointment which was today. Doctor said that my uterus is so distorted from fibroid that the tissue sample taken during the D&C was small but again said it showed no abnormal cells. Said that during the D&C, as he was scraping tissue, my lining bled easily which told him it wasn't thick. I did ask if women with endometrial cancer usually have a thick lining and he said yes. He is not pushing me for a hysterectomy since I have no real discomfort from the fibroid. Also said the bleeding could be occasional strain on the fibroid. Anyway, he suggested an MRI to look at my lining but again said the fibroid might be in the way. Said it was worth a shot and that if it showed a normal lining, we could leave it at that.

I'm a nervous wreck.......thought I was out of the woods after the D&C results but now wondering if I do have a major problem.

Throughout the entire visit today. the gyn/onc. wasn't alarmed. I'm driving my husband crazy by imagining the worst.

Thanks for letting me vent. Anyone else have a huge fibroid that is causing diagnostic problems? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2005, 12:43 PM   #2
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User
    Re: Anyone Else Have This Problem?

What the #### are they waiting for? Why don't they remove the fibroid? It could be hiding something.

Old 05-26-2005, 03:52 AM   #3
    Josie115
    Inactive

Josie115 HB User
    Re: Anyone Else Have This Problem?

All I can add to the above post is trust your gut. An endometrial biopsy if done right will detect cancerous cells. The problem is that unless you get the biopsy from the right place, you don't get accurate results. I had an ultrasound which did show a "thickening" in the endo lining up near the top of the uterus. with that info, the doc did the biopsy where the thickening was. In my case it showed grade 1 endo cancer. I had a TAH/BSO and the final pathology report was good..stage 1a, grade 1. Looking around in there..no cells found anywhere else. That is reassuring and since mine was found early..no additional treatment.

With your fibroid and the post meno bleeding, you have a potential problem that could be hiding. I'd keep insisting on more attention to this. A hyst ain't pleasant but invasive cancer is worse. I would get a 2nd and 3rd opinion before I would be satisfied that nothing was hiding in there anywhere. You may very well have nothing more than a big fibroid, but peace of mind, knowing that every nook and cranny was looked at is priceless.

Closed Thread