It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board

• Mom just diagnosed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2007, 05:25 AM   #1
    April7
    Inactive
    (female)

April7 HB User
    Mom just diagnosed

Hi everyone. I'm writing because last night my father called. My mother is 65. She started having some post-menopausal bleeding. They did a pap smear and then a biopsy, and they found cancer. She is having a CAT scan today, and on Friday she's having a D&C. They are already talking hysterectomy. The doctor seems to think it's been caught early. But I'm terrified. I don't know anything beyond what I've just told you. I wonder, is there anyone out there who has gone through uterine cancer? What can I expect? I have read a lot about it this morning, and it seems to be a treatable cancer if it has not spread or matastasized. I don't know what to do right now. I'm freaking out pretty badly and wondered is there anyone I can talk to?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
    bonnie3350
    (female)

bonnie3350 HB User
    Re: Mom just diagnosed

I've gone through this with my Mom, she had the hysterctomy with radiation in 1999. The cancer came back in 2004, at that time she did chemo treatments for 9 months and was good for 6 months when the tumors started to grow again. According to her oncologist, she would always have the cancer is was just a matter of keeping it in remission. My Mom was 72 when this started. Mom stopped treatments the end of November 2006. She past away March 16, 2007. If your Mom's doctor believes that this was found early then odds are good for all of you. Believe me that your Mom's outlook will make all the difference, as long as she believes she will beat this she will!

Old 06-07-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
    Jsquared
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jsquared HB User

I am going through the same thing with my mom and I am lost for words. I can completly understand you fear. Just keep praying.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
    April7
    Inactive
    (female)

April7 HB User

Thank you both.

To be honest I am feeling frustrated and lost.

She was diagnosed the beginning of last week based on a biopsy. They did a D&C on Friday (7 days ago) to get a better biopsy sample so they can determine the stage of cancer. They thought Stage I at first, but then the pathologist decided more cells were needed because part of the biopsy didn't look good.

So she had her CT scan and Lung X-rays and we haven't heard anything about those. Nor have we heard the D&C results. They said they would call by the end of this week. It is 1:10 on Friday and no word yet. I am frustrated!

She will have a hysterectomy. Don't know if it will be a complete or partial one yet.

I'm just worried and frustrated and wish that the waiting wasn't so long. I want to know ASAP. We are all nervous and scared.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:39 AM   #5
    April7
    Inactive
    (female)

April7 HB User

Okay, so what I know so far is that it is grade 2 endometrial cancer. The oncologist will give us more info on Friday the 15th of June and also schedule surgery at that point. I am not sure about the term "grade" as I have only heard of the "stage" of cancer. I will have to do more research to determine what this means. Anyone have any thoughts?

Old 07-05-2007, 11:02 PM   #6
    TooManyVeneers
    (female)

TooManyVeneers HB User

I hope your mothers surgery went OK. My mother was diagnosed with endometrial cancer right before Easter. They could not determine the stage until the actual surgery when they did the hysterectomy. Fortunately they think they got it all and she is OK. My mom is 60 years old and the thought of losing her was devastating. Best Wishes

Old 07-22-2007, 04:35 PM   #7
    kelli8
    (female)

kelli8 HB User

April, I feel your pain, in early February of this year, my Mother in Law went in for yer annual check up, it came back abnormal, she was referred to an oncologist and they told her she had cervical cancer and would need an hysterectomy, it took weeks to get to that point. For some reason, they decided to scan her lungs and found "nodules" they did a thorasic scope and said it wasnt cancer, then they sent her to a lung doctor who took a sample of her lung. It was found to be endometrial tissue, so she actually has uteran cancer that spread to the cervix and then to the lungs. This whole process took almost two months before she actually started any treatment. She has finished her six weeks of radiation and is well into her 26 weeks of chemo treatment. So far everything is going quite well considering she has stage 4b. Good luck to you and your mother. It will be a difficult time for both of you. The doctors here tend to be unfeeling (as they deal with these life and death situations on a daily basis) and pushed her off at times. Be persistent! BTW they were really great about that Friday trick here too. Everything was "next Friday" and then she couldnt get an appointment until the next week, and so forth...
    Again, good luck and keep us posed.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:51 AM   #8
    GodSaves
    (female)

GodSaves HB User

Hey April07,

I am going through a similar thing. I am 25 and my mum has been diagnosed with MMMT, which is a Malignant, Mixed, Mullerian Tumour. I am scared but have faith that we can overcome this. So many people have and I trust so can our mothers. We need to be strong for them and support them. I love her so much and still need her. She is a gift from God and I pray He allows me to keep her long.... Hang in there, hun.

God Bless

With Love,

Nikki

Last edited by moderator2; 08-25-2007 at 11:11 AM. Reason: posted contact info

Closed Thread