It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board

• mri w/contrast

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
    arizo01
    (female)

arizo01 HB User
    Exclamation mri w/contrast

Hi there, I'm new to this thread, I was wondering do you hear of the need to have an MRI with contrast to see your uterus for possible adenomyosis?
    I had an transabdominal and transvaginal pelvic ultrasound and the final report says as follows:

Multiple tiny myometrical cyst in the lower uterine segment with possibly decreased echogenicity of the myometrium posteriorly. These findings suggests adenomyosis. The diagnosis is difficult to confirm with ultrasound. Consider MRI of the pelvis to rule out this diagnosis, if clinically indicated.

I had the mri yesterday and was told that I need to have another one with contrast. I almost get it done but the insurance didn't sent the authorization yet when I was there at the facility. I got home and research the internet and found some concerning news about the contrast agent Gadolinium that is used to inject your veins in order to have the test done. They say these contrast agents have been linked to acute renal failure, people with compromised kidneys shouldn't have it, not my case but they also say that you can have liver problems and even fatal allergies reactions.
    After reading all this I told my doctor that I won't have this test done. I have a follow-up apptmt next tuesday and I'm afraid my doctor is going to try to convince me to have it and I don't want to. Before, when she have my ultrasound test results she said that it didn't show anything that worry her at all but to have the mri done because the radiologist suggest it. My feeling is that she wouldn't have sent me the test if not for the radiologist suggestion.
    What should I do? is there any other test that they can do to see my uterus? I'm tired of being in doctors already, all this year was crazy, had surgery and not having even the chance to recovery from it that I have to deal with this!
    Any suggestions????
    Any input would be greatly appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
    arizo01
    (female)

arizo01 HB User
    Re: mri w/contrast

Anybody please?

Old 10-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
    shisslak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

Arizo01

I have had no less than 10 MRI's with contrast. I have a Breast MRI once a year and in the year of 2006 I had 3 Breast MRI's with contrast all without any problems. I also had a Head/Caroid/Neck MRI in December 2005 and my kidneys were not functioning like they should because I was very ill and I still did not have a problem with the contrast.

MRI's are a pretty good diagnostic tool and the contrast that they use actually has the least amount of allergic reactions.

If you do not have any type of kidney or liver problems to begin with, than you should not have a problem. A simple blood test will detect if your liver enzymes are elevated and the blood test can also detect if your kidneys are functioning well.

With that being said, you really do not need to worry about the contrast doing you any harm, however, if you are really uncomfortable about having the test with contrast, than do not do it. Sit down with your doctor and discuss his/her reason for the extra concern. My best guess would be because the radiologist suggested it and if a radiologist makes a written suggestion in a report, than the ordering physcian will usually follow that suggesion.

Also ask your doctor if there is some alternative testing that could be done, like possibly doing a second u/s at maybe 3 or 6 month intervals to see if there are any changes.

Last edited by shisslak; 10-17-2008 at 09:01 AM.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:24 PM   #4
    arizo01
    (female)

arizo01 HB User

Thank you so much for your response. Yes, I feel uncomfortable with the mri w/contrast, I'm kind of an allergic person and my veins are difficult to find and when I had surgery I had this pain in my arm when the iv was for 2 weeks afterwards and the fluid they put in the iv is nothing like the contrast agent. I know she sent me the mri in the first place because she said that they suggested it but she also told me that my ultrasound didn't show anything that concern her at all. I will ask her to have another us in a few months and see what she says about it, I also told her assistant that I was open for other suggestions. Thank you again for your input

Closed Thread